Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Joyce-Art » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:02 pm

Joyce-Art

Subject title: Joyce-art's sketchbook

Hello, so this is the first time I've posted something here, so I'm quite new , though I have been roaming around this forum for a while.
This is the first sketch I will be uploading on this forum, but it's certainly not the first drawing that I've ever made.

If you want to see some of my old(er) stuff, you can check my sketchbook on Cubebrush, or my Deviantart.

So, here’s my first sketch for 2015! I’ve been reading some Deadpool comics and thus was in the mood to draw him. I’ve recorded the process and am planning to upload the whole drawing process on Youtube.
Now my personal question is; do you want to have a music under the video and just be done with it? Or do you want me to talk during the process? And if so, what should I talk about? Also, if you have any feedback on this I'd love to hear it :)

So I first started with a just sketching him around, trying to see which style I find the most pleasing to draw him in I knew that he appears in different styles in the comics, but I didn't know there were so many! After that I have been doing some sketching for the poses with the help of some references I've find in a Deviantart group called Pose-Emporium.

After that I've started to sketch the final image. This is also the point where I started recording for the video. So far I've ended up with this;

Postby Hatsby » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:43 am

Hatsby

Ooooh I love Deadpool! These look quite nice, good job! :D I particularly like the pose of him chilling with the grapes.
As for the video you're doing, music is fine if you don't really have anything you want to get off your chest. No point in figuring out what to talk about if nothing really comes to mind!

Postby Joyce-Art » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:15 am

Joyce-Art

Hatsby wrote:Ooooh I love Deadpool! These look quite nice, good job! :D I particularly like the pose of him chilling with the grapes.
As for the video you're doing, music is fine if you don't really have anything you want to get off your chest. No point in figuring out what to talk about if nothing really comes to mind!

Thank you very much for your comments and feedback! ^^

So here are some sketches I've made on paper for the Weekly Challenges on Cubebrush. I wasn't able to finis the Link one because of school, but I might be able to finish the other one for this week :)

I've also continued painting the Deadpool drawing from up here, but it's in the critique forum to get some feedback from;
http://sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12458

Postby Joyce-Art » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:23 am

Joyce-Art

Okay, from today on I’m planning to draw every day and simply upload whatever I’ve made. Even if it’s some stupid sketches…like this.

My mind was just blank yesterday…
But yeah, really planning to do that now! I really should draw more, a lot more!

Also, the first and second one were drawn with references, the last one wasn't.

Postby itstoodark » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:58 am

itstoodark

I really like how you style your faces thus far. You should post more :D

Postby Joyce-Art » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:00 am

Joyce-Art

itstoodark wrote:I really like how you style your faces thus far. You should post more :D

@Itstookdark Thank you very much. I'm glad you like them. I will try to post every day from now on :)

---

New drawing of the day. For my graduation I’m in Finland making a videogame. We’re currently preparing ourselves to convince the judge of how our Game concept in two weeks. I’m now practicing my drawing skill to make speedpaint-like drawing for the game. It’s a cardgame, so we will need a lot of drawings.

This was the first version of a character I made, but I was completely not satisfied with the end result…

So…I tried to redraw it again, directly in color this time

It is a bit better, but I’m still not completely satisfied…
I’m gonna try it again today, perhaps draw a different character first.

Postby Oli » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:05 am

Oli

looks cool. maybe the feet are bit too large, but otherwise... awesome!
My sketchbook | My dA | My Facebook

Life is too short for bad coffee!

Postby Joyce-Art » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:16 pm

Joyce-Art

Oli wrote:looks cool. maybe the feet are bit too large, but otherwise... awesome!

Thank you, I'm glad that you like it ^^

---

Currently busy with a promotion piece for our video game. It's far from finished, but it's a good start I guess. This is the first time I've done a piece that combines photo-manipulation with painting, so let's hope all goes well.

Postby Joyce-Art » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:27 am

Joyce-Art

Yesterday I continued working on the promo art of the game. Hopefully I'll be able to finish this today, and else tomorrow

Postby itstoodark » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:27 pm

itstoodark

Nice landscape. It's very ominous, like what you would see in a post-apocalyptic zombie video game or something.
How did you manipulate the image? I know some people only take the colors, and others take the composition, perspective, etc. It's pretty common when people do concept art (it's called photobashing, if I'm not mistaken), and I was just curious as to how you did it. Because it looks really, really cool. :D

Postby Joyce-Art » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:01 am

Joyce-Art

itstoodark wrote:Nice landscape. It's very ominous, like what you would see in a post-apocalyptic zombie video game or something.
How did you manipulate the image? I know some people only take the colors, and others take the composition, perspective, etc. It's pretty common when people do concept art (it's called photobashing, if I'm not mistaken), and I was just curious as to how you did it. Because it looks really, really cool. :D

Oh, that's a bit of a difficult question to answer. I'll try to explain it as easily as possible.
I started with a simple grayscale sketch, to get the perspective right, have a sense for the shadows etc. I would then look up photo references and textures for buildings and place them in the image. To make sure I had a nice atmosphere I later on used a layer mask with 'color balance'. After that I experimented more with different kinds of photos and at the last phase I did some overpainting to make it all blend together nicely.

I also got a lot of info from a youtube series from a guy named Roy Korpel, you should check it out, they are very useful! (especially his 'abandoned' pieces)
https://www.youtube.com/user/Roykorpel/videos

---

Okay, so here’s the final image! I did get some feedback about the rats and adding a pier in the water, so I’ll be adding those today

Postby Schetchmaker » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:36 am

Schetchmaker

The background there looks pretty well done in my opinion, not that I'm very experienced. For the people I would try to experiment with more angles and do more repetitions.
I personally wouldn't use many wrinkles or try to make clothes to "baggy" looking, to simplify that a bit.

Again though, the only advice I have that is always true is that you should keep practicing, you're doing good.
My (terrible) Deviantart http://lnfiniteworlds.deviantart.com/
Spoiler: show
You found it, the nothing.

Postby itstoodark » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:29 am

itstoodark

Thanks for the resource! I'll check it out later. Also, I really like how it turned out in the end. Your project looks very interesting indeed.

Postby Joyce-Art » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:40 am

Joyce-Art

Schetchmaker wrote:The background there looks pretty well done in my opinion, not that I'm very experienced. For the people I would try to experiment with more angles and do more repetitions.
I personally wouldn't use many wrinkles or try to make clothes to "baggy" looking, to simplify that a bit.

Again though, the only advice I have that is always true is that you should keep practicing, you're doing good.

Thank you very much for your feedback! :)

itstoodark wrote:Thanks for the resource! I'll check it out later. Also, I really like how it turned out in the end. Your project looks very interesting indeed.

No problem at all! I hope it's useful for you ^^

---

Aaannndd it’s finally done! :D

Postby Joyce-Art » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:29 am

Joyce-Art

Yesterday I started to work on the character cards for our game, I still need approval for this, but I think it’ll be okay

I’ve started on the Weekly Challenge from Cubebrush.com yesterday as well! Hopefully I’ll be able to finish it on time
More information about the challenge can be found here: https://cubebrush.com/forums/topic/bronze-weekly-challenge-020615/

Postby QuietElegy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:32 pm

QuietElegy

I really like the look of that game cover, but perhaps some garbage/litter in the streets would add a bit more realism? For being so decrepit of a place it looks incredibly clean.
Otherwise it's looking like a really solid design!

I definitely want to keep watch for more of your stuff on here
My sketchbook

Please refer to me with They/Them pronouns. Thank you.

Postby Joyce-Art » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:26 pm

Joyce-Art

QuietElegy wrote:I really like the look of that game cover, but perhaps some garbage/litter in the streets would add a bit more realism? For being so decrepit of a place it looks incredibly clean.
Otherwise it's looking like a really solid design!

I definitely want to keep watch for more of your stuff on here

Thank you very much for the feedback and comment! :D

---

So this is an image I've made for the Weekly Challenge on Cubebrush.com. More about the challenge can be found over here:
https://cubebrush.com/forums/topic/silv ... ge-020615/

Youtube video can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GhX6F…

It was great fun to paint this, but making the design was very difficult ^^;

Postby Joyce-Art » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:34 pm

Joyce-Art

Here are some more images for Pandemic Era. The cards are completely costume made, but the images seen on the battle screen (so the rats, the portraits of the character and the background) are from the internet. The rest is completely original.
Our group leader thought that the enemy cards were too pink and suggested I'd make them purple. Haven't had the time yet to change that though...

Also, I won't be updating this weekend, because I'll be gone till Sunday evening D:

Image Image

Postby Joyce-Art » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:54 pm

Joyce-Art

Finally a new update! :D
I actually wanted to work on my Deadpool drawing, but homework got in the way...though I got some pretty art from that I guess ^^''

Firstly I've changed the color of the enemy cards, since the team leader wanted them to be purple. So I did that :3

Afterwards I've changed the enemy cards in the battle screen and finished it up

Then I finally started with the building cards. I've made two versions, since I wasn't quite sure about the amount of squares on the bottom. Tomorrow I'll ask my team leader which one he likes the most.

Image Image

After that I've started with the map screen. It's not finished yet, I will do that tomorrow :3

Postby Joyce-Art » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:38 pm

Joyce-Art

So I've finally got an update again! I've been so busy that I didn't have time to draw D:
I made some digital sketches today and I've decided to show some of my older sketchbook sketches :3
The poses from the digital sketches are taken from a comic called Death Chicken. I read the comic for the first time today and it is amazing! I read through the chapter like crazy and I couldn't stop reading! You can check it out here: http://bezzalair.deviantart.com/gallery/245626/Death-Chicken-Comic

I actually really like the design of this random character. Maybe I'll draw him seriously one day :3

Postby Joyce-Art » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:32 pm

Joyce-Art

Damn, it's been a whole week since I've updated this! So far my promise of updating every single day...
I also had great difficulty trying to come with something to draw, so here are just some...faces...
Also, the first one is a little bit designed after that one Weekly Challenge where we had to draw a human portrait based of a mech of...Armored Core I believe?

The shading is a lot better in the second one though

Postby NesoKaiyoH » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:10 pm

NesoKaiyoH

The second one's shading does look really good! Although I think the eyes are a little too big and the chin isn't big enough. Otherwise proportions are looking great and the greyscale is lovely. Keep up the good work!
20 - F - Student - Future concept artist and manga illustrator!

My Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?t=11533
My deviantART: http://nesokaiyoh.deviantart.com
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/digitalartistrachelwalpole
My ArtStation: http://www.artstation.com/artist/nesokaiyoh

Postby Joyce-Art » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:37 pm

Joyce-Art

NesoKaiyoH wrote:The second one's shading does look really good! Although I think the eyes are a little too big and the chin isn't big enough. Otherwise proportions are looking great and the greyscale is lovely. Keep up the good work!

Thank you very much for the feedback :D

---

Well, I got some feedback on the lower portrait and colored the upper one. I was a bit bored today ^^''

Postby NesoKaiyoH » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:45 pm

NesoKaiyoH

Okay it looks alot better already owo

And I love the blue in the girl's eyes, very eye catching XD
20 - F - Student - Future concept artist and manga illustrator!

My Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?t=11533
My deviantART: http://nesokaiyoh.deviantart.com
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/digitalartistrachelwalpole
My ArtStation: http://www.artstation.com/artist/nesokaiyoh

Postby Joyce-Art » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:51 pm

Joyce-Art

NesoKaiyoH wrote:Okay it looks alot better already owo

And I love the blue in the girl's eyes, very eye catching XD

Thank you very much
Hehehe, that pun though XD

---

Alright, so I've been working on the portrait again. It's not 100% done and there are still some changes I want to make, but it looks decent so far

And i've been trying to make a new deadpool image (wasn't satisfied with the previous one). I know there are a lot of anatomy mistakes in this one and hte poses do not feel very good, so if you have feedback or can give a paintover, throw them at me! :D

Next

Return to Sketchbook