Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Camnel » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:06 am

Camnel

Subject title: Camnel's Sketchbook

NEW CHALLENGER ARRIVES!!!

Hey everyone, I'm Camnel, from Santiago de Chile. Think this forum is awesome so I finally decided to start a sketchbook :D My final goal is being able to draw manga/comics for fun, got to learn everything so I'm starting with characters, heads specifically. First I'll try getting the general structure and then moving into each feature until I get it right. Also send me a message if you want to draw with me. I'm really friendly and will be grinding this stuff the time it's necessary xd

Did these skulls a while ago, this is the spirit of the kind of practice I'm looking forward to *.*

These are from loomis, reading his book about heads right now:

Some head sketches I did today after studying loomis, having a hard time getting stuff done without ref, not particularly happy with them but it's a start:

Giving the fist steps into cool heads, infinite practice incoming, wish me luck xD All comments are welcome, feel free to say whatever you like.
Last edited by Camnel on Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Hybridcity » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:29 pm

Hybridcity

Welcome to the forums!

You have some nice faces going on. :3
18 year old person doing the art thing

InstaGRAM: https://instagram.com/hybridremmie/
SketchBOOK: http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17689

Postby Fergato » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:36 pm

Fergato

Hello there, welcome to the forums!
Keep uploading!
Our learning path never ends... Keep practicing.

My Instagram.

Postby Camnel » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:57 am

Camnel

Thanks for welcoming Hybridcity and Fergato ^^ Hope to get along with everyone :D Pretty awesome people.

Today I kept with Loomis drawings, full eyes training! Also had help from a Proko video, informative stuff.

Postby z4m97 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:08 pm

z4m97

its totally unforgibable that i skipped this sketchbook ._.
nice works with your studies...
id recommend to simplify things a bit more, an excesive ammount of guidelines might be confusing sometimes...

Postby Camnel » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:31 am

Camnel

z4m97, I was hoping senpai would notice me xD About the excessive guidelines, yeah I think it's a pain but is helping me understand the forms in more depth/3d. For studying purposes I think is worth it :p

Did some mouth and lips stuff today, these studies are bringing light to my ignorance, pretty shocking actually :roll: Should stick to this to get dem skills.

Postby Jpcorpuz » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:10 am

Jpcorpuz

I really like where these are going. Also really like the way you're presenting these, gives a real sense of direction in terms of what your practicing and trying to achieve. That top one would be an awesome exercise to do again after you're done with studying the rest of the facial features.

Postby sanguine » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:21 pm

sanguine

I really like the art you're posting here. The studies seem really effective, and it looks like you're learning. Keep this up:) and post more of your creative works!!

Postby Camnel » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:03 am

Camnel

Thanks for commenting sanguine and Jpcorpuz ^^ Your words are really encouraging, you two have sick sketchbooks, love them :) I'll do the heads exercise as well post some creative stuff in the future, now I'm building muscle!

Today I went into noses, another difficult topic to me xd got some sense of what are they about. Trying to solve the mysteries of the head, detective Camnel is on the case, here is the report.

Postby z4m97 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:42 am

z4m97

those noses are workin really good :D

Postby Camnel » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:28 am

Camnel

Thx mate ^^ I'm starting to get in rhythm :p Today I did some ear stuff and tried to find structure to some heads, everything is making sense step by step.

Image Image

Postby SketchStudio » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:40 am

SketchStudio

I like those head studies!

Postby Camnel » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:42 pm

Camnel

I won't be able to use my computer and have limited access to internet for some days xd Will be doing traditional until then, after my head studies I find way easier trying to understand others artists styles. Did some manga Bakuman drawings, my ink is messy, got to practice it a lot, also got to buy new pens :c

Postby z4m97 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:30 pm

z4m97

wow, these are lookin great

Postby Camnel » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:30 am

Camnel

Thx mate ^^ About the heads, think Im gonna relearn everything by atacking the issue by different angles, it's been a week since I started and have to solidify every topic. Here is a to do list:
-Hair
-Different ages
-Expressions
-Extreme angles

Here are some random head doodles just to show something until I continue with my studies xd

Postby Camnel » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:59 am

Camnel

Back to my tablet and digital!!! I was doing some brushes experimenting and discovered some interesting differences between the male and female skull. Photo practices :D

Postby Ecuinach » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:51 am

Ecuinach

Hey, thanks for checking out my sketchbook. I thought id give yours a peak. You're certainly a lot more vigilant with your studies than I am. I'm loving your work so far. Can't wait to see more and watch you unravel the mysteries of drawing the face.

Also, if you have any tips for making studies more fun, I'm all ears. I'm so damn lazy P:

Good luck man!
You can call me Gray.

Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12355&p=79570#p79570

Postby Ecuinach » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:59 am

Ecuinach

Something I noticed that might be helpful; it seems like you're drawing the eyes too far up on the head and slightly too large. I'm certain you already know this, but the eyes are ~ half way down the head. It gelps to ve concious about the proportions and placement while you draw. Sounds weird, but what helps me is touching and feeling my own face.
You can call me Gray.

Postby Camnel » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:31 am

Camnel

Ecuinach wrote:Something I noticed that might be helpful; it seems like you're drawing the eyes too far up on the head and slightly too large. I'm certain you already know this, but the eyes are ~ half way down the head. It gelps to ve concious about the proportions and placement while you draw. Sounds weird, but what helps me is touching and feeling my own face.

Yeah I'm aware of that proportion info, being told is a great reminder to internalize it though. Also touching and using a mirror(webcam really xd) is something I started doing recently, inspired by sycra's last vid where he references himself to draw expressions. Your comment is indeed helpful, thx :D

Ecuinach wrote:Hey, thanks for checking out my sketchbook. I thought id give yours a peak. You're certainly a lot more vigilant with your studies than I am. I'm loving your work so far. Can't wait to see more and watch you unravel the mysteries of drawing the face.

Also, if you have any tips for making studies more fun, I'm all ears. I'm so damn lazy P:

Good luck man!

I'm grateful you are liking my stuff(they aren't that fun lol), about making studies more enjoyable, sharing to other people is already a great deal. Other thing that helps me is to be very specific on what I'm focusing each session so I don't enter to a "dafuq am I doing" mode, so the improvement and knowledge are obvious. Be proactive on that matter, think what would be better for you to learn something. Also is not bad to mess around from time to time, one of the faces I drew on my last update is a friend of mine and had some laughs when I showed him the drawing. Oh and music, can't draw without good music as background.

Postby Ecuinach » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:01 am

Ecuinach

Thanks, I think ill try that. I'm planning on starting some studies tomorrow, but I have no idea where to start! Do you have skype at all? I used to have a friend you I did gestures with. It would be cool to have another study buddy. :P
You can call me Gray.

Postby Camnel » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:04 am

Camnel

Ecuinach wrote:Thanks, I think ill try that. I'm planning on starting some studies tomorrow, but I have no idea where to start! Do you have skype at all? I used to have a friend you I did gestures with. It would be cool to have another study buddy. :P

Yep! Actually my skype is on the first post of this sketchbook, add me so we can start teh grinding oh yeah

Postby Camnel » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:19 am

Camnel

I'm a bit sick of pure heads training so I'll move into figure drawing, also need to know how to connect it to the torso in order to get into the next step xd. My plan now is to learn as much as I can from the proko videos, researched a bit and it seems the best at least for me. Did some gesture and beans, I must say that drawing with timer isn't really comfortable since I work better when relaxed and panic a little with the limited time xD Some figures are broken and out of proportion, hope I get something for doing this kind of practice.

Postby z4m97 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:22 pm

z4m97

oh my freaking god this improvement is sick!

Postby Camnel » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:08 am

Camnel

z4m97 wrote:oh my freaking god this improvement is sick!

Thx mate you are always so nice T_T

Did some 1 min gesture and 30 sec beans, feeling that I need more practice doing this kind of stuff. Also tried doing some design, felt like doing some masks, may be material for character design in the future. Colored some with the little knowledge I have about colors xD

Postby Gevoian » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:23 am

Gevoian

i really like that bakuman study

Next

Return to Sketchbook