This is a place where you can create or participate in challenges and competitions!

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone, ErnieTheMighty

Postby ErnieTheMighty » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:54 am

ErnieTheMighty

Subject title: Official Character Design Challenge #2

Official Character Design Challenge #2

Introduction
The Character Design Challenge has been made to enhance the forum member's creative side of the brain and encourage them to improve. The challenge is made for any kind of skill level, anyone can participate. At the end of the challenge there will be a voting, and the winner receives a certain prize listed below. So go ahead and join, remember to read the challenge rules!

Rules
  • Any traditional and digital medium is accepted - sculpture, pencils, ink, 3D, digital painting, etc. The general design format can be turnarounds, illustrations, facial expression sheets, animations, etc.
  • You must associate your character design with at least one of the given tags(prompts). Associating with more prompts gives you better chances.
  • Minimum number of participants for the voting to begin: 3. The challenge duration can be extended for up to one additional week in case of the lack of submissions.
  • No NSFW material is allowed. That includes private parts, extreme gore and torture.
  • The work must be started in between the starting and ending dates set for the challenge.
  • The picture submitted must be resized to 750px width, preferably on IMGUR or any hosted site which does not delete images.
  • To receive dA point prizes, the link to your dA must exist either inside of your signature or the sketchbook thread.
  • Only one submission is allowed per challenge. Anyone registered can participate.
  • You can design more than one character in a single challenge submission, but no more than three.

Challenge starting date: 2015, February 17th
Challenge ending date: 2015, February 24th (one week)

Voting begins: 2015, February 24th
Voting ends: 2015, February 26th

Challenge #3: 2015, February 27-28(depending on when winners provide their prompts)

Prompts
The prompts for OCDC#2 are:
Monster Boy | Aristocrat | Villain
First and second prompt are chosen by previous OCDC's winners, while the last one is handpicked by me.

Prizes
Prizes are there just for general encouragement. Never draw only to receive prizes!
First place: 50 dA points and a feature on Daily-Art dA group page. Choose first prompt for the challenge #3.
Second place: Choose second prompt for the challenge #3.
Third place: Choose third prompt for the challenge #3.
Other participants: Honorable mention.

Inspiration
Spoiler: show
Not necessarily should inspiration be linked to all of the given prompts. The inspiration section is given to give a general feeling of direction for a character. It is okay to use inspiration section as a reference for color palettes, composition, anatomy, clothing, etc.

Current Participants

Postby 123mine123 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:30 am

123mine123

Will do.

Postby QuietElegy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:16 am

QuietElegy

When it says one submission per challenge, but you can make up to three characters, would that mean all three must be in one image rather than separate images?

(also apologies for not voting on the last one, this weekend was sort of hectic)
My sketchbook

Please refer to me with They/Them pronouns. Thank you.

Postby ErnieTheMighty » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:13 am

ErnieTheMighty

QuietElegy wrote:When it says one submission per challenge, but you can make up to three characters, would that mean all three must be in one image rather than separate images?

(also apologies for not voting on the last one, this weekend was sort of hectic)

Yeah, in one image. It will make the voting process much easier. ^^

Make sure to participate in this voting then! :D

Postby isamuffin » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:56 pm

isamuffin

I'm in :P
15y/o Muffin
My sketchbook : http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.ph ... &start=800
My Instagram : isamuffin135
Don't take anything I write too seriously - I probably don't know what I'm talking about XD

Postby BinaryClockwork » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:58 pm

BinaryClockwork

I'm in, but how do I submit my design, do I have to send it to you privately or how, and will pencil and paper do or does it have to be made on PC?

Postby ErnieTheMighty » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:05 pm

ErnieTheMighty

BinaryClockwork wrote:I'm in, but how do I submit my design, do I have to send it to you privately or how, and will pencil and paper do or does it have to be made on PC?

Upload it to IMGUR. As stated in the rules, you can use any tools you wish.

Put the image inbetween IMG tags and post the reply here. :)

Postby zlyczlowiek » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:41 pm

zlyczlowiek

My, dunno if final, entry, future aristocrat. :(

Once you became an aristocrat, and put your helemt on, there is no return, you wont see your face again...!

Postby QuietElegy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:51 am

QuietElegy

Another question,
If one entry can have three designs, would people vote on one of the three, or for the artist in general?

Basically, would it split votes between yourself, or all total up?
My sketchbook

Please refer to me with They/Them pronouns. Thank you.

Postby Fantelle » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:11 pm

Fantelle

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxmy entry: Meet Sir Rothensville: Monster Boy. Aristocrat. Villain.

This boy has a long history, one which I'll try to explain simply. In April 1850, a baby boy named Red Rothensville was born. He had a fairly
normal and careless childhood, being born to an aristocratic family saves one a lot of trouble. Though soon, he started having nightmares.
They worsened for every year that went by, and multiplied in numbers much like germs. His father took him to all sorts of doctors, and all
assured him that it was a phase. Soon though, Sir Rothensville started hearing voices. One voice in particular, the voice of a demon 'Meralda',
mesmerized him. He talked to her day in and day out, and soon fell in love with the voice. On his 23rd birthday, Meralda told him that she
wanted to stay with him forever, but that it was getting tiring to hide from him. Demons weren't allowed to show themselves to humans, it
would cause great trouble for both. So she told him that the only way their relationship would work was to blind Sir Rothensville, and already
blinded by love, he agreed. But please don't feel sorry for Sir Rothensville. Demons need to eat, and to enjoy dinner with his love, Sir R invites
elderly, mentally wicked and sick or damaged human beings to his home. It's a pleasure to have introduced you. -- Progress gif here.

Postby ErnieTheMighty » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:47 pm

ErnieTheMighty

QuietElegy wrote:Another question,
If one entry can have three designs, would people vote on one of the three, or for the artist in general?

Basically, would it split votes between yourself, or all total up?

You vote for the artist in that case. ^^

Postby BinaryClockwork » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:39 pm

BinaryClockwork

When the colonization started and the planet Nova sent her pioneers onto Rein 1, they made sure the people would be safe by sending their strongest commander, Jürgen Steinheimer, with them. Because of Rein 1's strange nature, there are huge amounts of metal shards high up in the atmosphere that cause all electronic devices to malfunction. Due to this commander Jürgen and the ship's crew were armed with traditional weapons that don't use electricity. Because the regular pioneers were unarmed the commander and the ship's crew quickly became the most powerful force on this new planet. Jürgen, after spending countless years in battle wanted to gain power, the planet soon became a tyranny with himself as the leader. The ship's crew and their families became highclass citizens and poor people worked like slaves. Rebellions arose.
(EDIT: the nails on the right wrist are for locking the wrist in place so that the recoil won't break the wrist)

Postby explosivedesign » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:29 pm

explosivedesign

Heres mine, just a plain old witch who throws fire balls
http://imgur.com/pXnfVLH
Im Alex, a Digital Artist Wanna'be

Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11305

Postby TestSubject » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:33 pm

TestSubject

Here is mine - the evil necromancer boy :)
Clipboard01.png

Postby 123mine123 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:11 pm

123mine123

Here's mine. I name him AristoCrow.

Postby dabberblimp » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:06 pm

dabberblimp

"Oh there you are, won´t you join me for dinner?" :twisted: ..... I tried to include all prompts a bit, but the main theme is monster boy^^

sketchbook -> http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11403
deviantart (where I only upload my animations for now) : http://dabberblimp.deviantart.com/

art is a journey not a destination

Postby hainoki » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:08 am

hainoki

Is it okay to join in without having a deviantart account? Because I don't mind joining in without winning something. ; v ;

Postby ErnieTheMighty » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:40 am

ErnieTheMighty

hainoki wrote:Is it okay to join in without having a deviantart account? Because I don't mind joining in without winning something. ; v ;

It is okay, but you better hurry up, because the challenge ends later today(about 8-10 hours)!

Postby hainoki » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:24 am

hainoki

Thank you! Also, sorry for the terrible quality, it was kinda rushed. And trying to make it into a gif messed with the size so I had to resize it again. Hope it's alright! I tried to make it look like it was storming outside and he was standing right in front of a window when lighting came, which illuminated him and his terrible secret!

Postby isamuffin » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:12 pm

isamuffin

I don't have an awesome animation but I present to you my character : an aristocratic monster boy ..

He disappeared after falling out of a window during his birthday party in 1887, the left side of his body was impaled by the rose thorns of the bush underneath, but when the guests ran downstairs hoping to save him, the body was never found.
The rumor has it that he appeared to the young girl of a Viscount now living in his manor, who went mad a few weeks after moving in ...

lol jk it's the winner of the Halloween costume contest. :lol:

Or is it ?
image.jpg
15y/o Muffin
My sketchbook : http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.ph ... &start=800
My Instagram : isamuffin135
Don't take anything I write too seriously - I probably don't know what I'm talking about XD

Postby ErnieTheMighty » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:21 pm

ErnieTheMighty

Thank you all for participating guys! This challenge is now ended and the voting thread will pop up in a few!

Return to The Arena