Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby wartynewt » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:31 pm

wartynewt

Subject title: Warty's randomness

The rim lighting looks great, definitely makes the painting look better and adds some more realism! i'm not sure about cropping the image, maybe i should make it a bit longer at the right side.

Postby Felime » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:56 pm

Felime

I like the old composition, though messing with the right side is definitely something to experiment. Cropping it definitely brings the ledge in as the main focus of the image, but I feel like losing the darker left side messes up the 'balance' it had going, and shifts the focus of the composition off of the landscape as a whole and onto the ledge itself. Having it off the 3rd lines kinda kept the detail land high contrast from grabbing all the attention.

Postby wartynewt » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:30 pm

wartynewt

Yeah Felime, i think the value balance was better with my old composition so i made the image longer which looks pretty good i think, now it falls in the rule of thirds without messing up the value balance too much. Thanks for the reply!
Virtueone you're really helping me alot! I really appreciate it, thank you so much, just compare this final image to the one i first posted and that just shows how useful your help is :).
The cave1.jpg

Postby wartynewt » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:50 pm

wartynewt

A quick figure, i used no reference for this. Any critique is highly appreciated

girl sketch1.jpg

Postby LuisEC » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:20 pm

LuisEC

The ribcage breakdown is very large. Try using the height of 1 1/2 heads to determine the overall height of the ribcage, and mark halfway up where the arch of the ribcage will be. This will also mark pretty accurately to where the scapula will end. The breasts look a little low because of this, since their attachment point is basically right at, or above that arch of the ribcage, then their actual size will determine how far down the torso they appear. The armpit looks a little high because of this as well. The armored version remedies this a bit, but, her breasts should be supported if she's wearing armor, or anything really.

Her front leg, the round of the butt and the vastus lateralis comes down a little too far. This angle is kind of tough because that area has a lot of muscle, fat and the trochanter(which is a key thing you're missing on your breakdown) going on so its hard to judge how much "bump" should be there. Also, on her outer leg, I notice the knee juts out a bit, that displacement should actually be on the inner leg. This is because the inner leg muscle (vastus medialis) ends at a lower point on the thigh and creates that kind o bump, which is why the calf on the inner side of the leg is lower too. So, the muscles on the outer leg will start and end higher up but the outer ankle bone is lower than the inner ankle bone, it creates a staggering effect on the leg that lets us actually be balanced. You can look up Jack Hamm's book on this.

Postby wartynewt » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:24 pm

wartynewt

Thanks LuisEC, great advice! i'll try to fix it :)

Postby wartynewt » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:49 pm

wartynewt

So i added the bump the vastus medialis makes, but i think the bump on the other side of the knee is also supposed to be there since the patella sticks out a bit there, i tried to draw a little bump where the trochanter would stick out (but i don't know where i should draw it) and highered the vastus lateralis. I also made her ribcage end higher and highered the breasts on the armored version so it doesn't look like she isn't wearing a bra.
girl sketch1.jpg

Postby McFluffkins » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:43 pm

McFluffkins

Hello!

So.. I'm new around here, and my anatomy isn't the most wonderful. The main thing about your most recent sketch that seems such a shame is that you started out with an energetic gesture and then seemed to lose all the power once you fleshed it out.

I made a little sketch that will hopefully show you what I mean, 'cause I'm not terribly good with explaining :lol: But basically all I've done is tilt the head up, reposition the elbows slightly and given the hips an opposing angle to the shoulders instead of parallel.. I hope you don't mind!

EDIT: You could still keep the head facing down, of course. In which case she might benefit from a slightly less passive expression?

FLUFF FLUFF FLUFF FLUFF FLUFF

Postby Ambiguity » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:55 am

Ambiguity

wartynewt wrote:So i added the bump the vastus medialis makes, but i think the bump on the other side of the knee is also supposed to be there since the patella sticks out a bit there

Don't do that, there are quite a bit of muscles and ligaments that attach to the inside of the knee, and only a few that attach on the outside(and the ones that do are pretty flat on that side). The patella is directly in the center of the knee and is kind of small so it doesn't break the silhouette of the leg in a front view [of the leg]. Always look for the asymmetry in the body, don't let your brain force symmetry where there is none.

wartynewt wrote:i tried to draw a little bump where the trochanter would stick out (but i don't know where i should draw it) and highered the vastus lateralis.

The greater trochanter contributes to the peak width of the hips on a woman, but you shouldn't be able to see it(unless your girl is being starved). Sometimes you'll see a dimple(not a bump) where the gluteus muscles wrap around it, kinda like the outside epicondyle of the humerus.

When in doubt, pull some reference out:
www.zygotebody.com

Postby wartynewt » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:05 am

wartynewt

Thanks ambiguity that clears up alot, and the point of this drawing was to see what i could do without using any reference to see my progress. :) i'll fix the knee when i'm home.

Postby wartynewt » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:14 pm

wartynewt

Some movie scene and landscape studies, 20min each.
movie scene studies1.jpg

Postby wartynewt » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:13 pm

wartynewt

Some sketches on paper, sorry for the bad quality. The 2 girls are 4min 'gestures'.
Spoiler: show
sketchpaper1-forum.jpg

sketckpaper2-forum.jpg

Postby wartynewt » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:19 pm

wartynewt

Thanks, McFluffkins: i'm going to try and improve that drawing very soon, putting the hips in an opposing angle to the shoulders makes it look more dynamic i think. Turning the head up might be better too, i'll try it out. Thanks for the advice! :)

Postby Archon » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:32 pm

Archon

I totally love your sketchbook :D ANd the movie scenes studies is a hell of an idea, I think I might as well try it out :D Great work :)

Postby wartynewt » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:02 pm

wartynewt

Thanks Archon! you made my day! :) Yeah movie scene studies are a looot of fun!

Postby wartynewt » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:56 pm

wartynewt

some more 20min movie studies :).
movie scene studies2-forum.jpg

Postby wartynewt » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:49 pm

wartynewt

some random sketches, 2min poses and anatomy studies.
sketchpaper3-forum.jpg

Postby Zearthus » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:50 am

Zearthus

wartynewt wrote:some more 20min movie studies :).
movie scene studies2-forum.jpg

Love these(those?) studies mate! Looking great.
BEHANCE: https://www.behance.net/brian-hermelijn
SKETCHBOOK: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8158&hilit=Zearthus&start=540

"I do not sugarcoat, rather I write my honest opinion"

Postby wartynewt » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:01 pm

wartynewt

Thanks Brianhermelijn, i really like your gesture drawings in your sketchbook!

Postby wartynewt » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:43 pm

wartynewt

Some more gestures, and some random stuff.

sketchpaper4-forum.jpg

Postby wartynewt » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:38 pm

wartynewt

A concept sketch i did of a steam punk plague doctor, i might take it further. Critique is always welcome.
plague doctor concept-forum.jpg

Postby wartynewt » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:41 pm

wartynewt

A little update of my plague doctor concept.
plague doctor concept-forum.jpg

Postby virtueone » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:00 pm

virtueone

Cool character. Work on the anatomy of the hands - they look goofy to me. :D Also, the position of the belt seems weird, too low maybe?

Postby wartynewt » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:16 pm

wartynewt

virtueone wrote:Cool character. Work on the anatomy of the hands - they look goofy to me. :D Also, the position of the belt seems weird, too low maybe?

Yeah i suck at drawing these hands without reference haha i'm going to take some pictures of my onw hand and the belt is too low indeed, didn't notice! thanks man!

Postby wartynewt » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:27 pm

wartynewt

I think i fixed the hands and i also changed the position of the belt. :) Looks better now
plague doctor concept1.jpg
Last edited by wartynewt on Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook