Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby blankheART » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:19 pm

blankheART

Subject title: blankheART's sketchbook

sorry its not that much , we had guests all day plus i have a little cold so i can't really focus
AlmostWhitePaper.png

Postby blankheART » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:42 pm

blankheART

if you thought i have been lazying around these past days ,sorry you thought wrong.
so these past few days , i have been searching about gesture and forms and how to practice them . and i come up with this: draw the gesture of the reference take the gesture make it in forms then flesh it out simple :P
that way i learn gesture then while doing forms i would notice the things the missing from my gesture like proportions or is it understandable without the real picture or not.
here is my 1st try , though the reference was with me while doing forms because it was kinda hard without it i hope tomorrow is better
feel free to tell me if anything is wrong
1st.png

2nd.png

3rd.png

Postby youngyokai » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:21 am

youngyokai

I really like this idea you've got, and the fact you've got it figured out so quickly shows how much you're thinking about it - which is great! I don't know if they're each separate drawings or not, but I'd say if this helps you out, keep it up for a while, then learn to draw them all in one figure. You'll see how your action line will differ from your long s-curve of the spine in no time, really, and all the action lines and contours will begin to make sense. I'd try to remain consistent in putting spheres or cylinders in place of elbows and knees, you've got it in some, but not in all, so remember that consistency is key!

Postby blankheART » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:11 pm

blankheART

youngyokai wrote:I really like this idea you've got, and the fact you've got it figured out so quickly shows how much you're thinking about it - which is great! I don't know if they're each separate drawings or not, but I'd say if this helps you out, keep it up for a while, then learn to draw them all in one figure. You'll see how your action line will differ from your long s-curve of the spine in no time, really, and all the action lines and contours will begin to make sense. I'd try to remain consistent in putting spheres or cylinders in place of elbows and knees, you've got it in some, but not in all, so remember that consistency is key!

thanks !! and no they are not separate drawings , they were layers above each other then i separated them to see and show how i am going
also i actually wanted to ask about the spheres of the elbows and knees , i don't know how to put it so it will be easy when fleshing the figure , so any help?

Postby blankheART » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:12 pm

blankheART

here is today's try , sorry its only one because right now i'm busy applying to college so half the day is wasted in it.
this time i wasn't looking at the reference while making the form , the only mistake i did was the front leg ( at least thats what i see)
freepapertexture.png

Postby youngyokai » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:24 pm

youngyokai

also i actually wanted to ask about the spheres of the elbows and knees , i don't know how to put it so it will be easy when fleshing the figure , so any help?

Basically any place where the joint will bend, keeping in mind proportion. A sphere can always appear larger or smaller if (for instance) a forearm is coming towards or backing away from the viewer. One thing I would recommend is to draw through the form - so your shapes will overlap eachother - but you'll get a better grasp of how the body function. Don't worry about detail or how good it looks, so long as your gesture reads well~.

Watch this as a refresher is needed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74HR59yFZ7Y :)

Postby Peteman22 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:18 pm

Peteman22

Hello

Looks like your making progress. I would second the advice on drawing through forms and also if you go to Pixellovely.com it'll give you timed (or untimed) references. But you can also set them to naked or not naked, looking at naked people may help you see how all the bits join together more easily. :)
What are you doing? Stop browsing the forum and get drawing.

Just visit my sketchbook first:

http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37212 Come say hello!

Postby blankheART » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:55 pm

blankheART

Peteman22 wrote:Hello

Looks like your making progress. I would second the advice on drawing through forms and also if you go to Pixellovely.com it'll give you timed (or untimed) references. But you can also set them to naked or not naked, looking at naked people may help you see how all the bits join together more easily. :)

hay! i appreciate your support and advice but can't do naked models due to family and religion reason so i'm sticking to the clothed

Postby NesoKaiyoH » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:04 pm

NesoKaiyoH

That's a good way of approaching the figure, you'll soon get the hang of it xD
20 - F - Student - Future concept artist and manga illustrator!

My Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?t=11533
My deviantART: http://nesokaiyoh.deviantart.com
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/digitalartistrachelwalpole
My ArtStation: http://www.artstation.com/artist/nesokaiyoh

Postby blankheART » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:09 pm

blankheART

youngyokai wrote:

Basically any place where the joint will bend, keeping in mind proportion. A sphere can always appear larger or smaller if (for instance) a forearm is coming towards or backing away from the viewer. One thing I would recommend is to draw through the form - so your shapes will overlap eachother - but you'll get a better grasp of how the body function. Don't worry about detail or how good it looks, so long as your gesture reads well~.

Watch this as a refresher is needed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74HR59yFZ7Y :)

i did watch that and a lot other but i just couldn't get much out of it so i ended up following my Instincts

Postby blankheART » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:11 pm

blankheART

NesoKaiyoH wrote:That's a good way of approaching the figure, you'll soon get the hang of it xD

good to know :D i want to learn as much as i can before my college start because i will get busy

Postby blankheART » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:52 am

blankheART

sorry for not posting yesterday or the day before it , they was busy days , couldn't even teach my pc BUT fortunately i have found DAZ 3D, its free software that let you animate a premade models and environments which is cool . i downloaded to that i can make all kind of poses with all kinds of angles .
i think you should check it out , it will help to see things from another view .

Postby blankheART » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:47 pm

blankheART

this is today's work and man ! turning gesture into forms really make me tired and leave me with no MP .
i made these reference in DAZ 3D
1st.png

2nd.png

3rd.png

Postby everfae » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:25 am

everfae

It's great that you've started to break down the human body into individual forms, boxes and cylinders. Keep trying to think in 3D like this. It's helping you a lot :)
you can call me flower if you want to
instagram
my sketchbook

Postby Xiphor » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:03 am

Xiphor

Yeah the simplified figure stuff is definitely helping, keep that up. Once you get a bit more comfortable transferring an image of a person into a simplified figure. Try to then get some poses going from imagination.

Postby blankheART » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:22 am

blankheART

everfae wrote:It's great that you've started to break down the human body into individual forms, boxes and cylinders. Keep trying to think in 3D like this. It's helping you a lot :)

Postby blankheART » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:22 am

blankheART

Xiphor wrote:Yeah the simplified figure stuff is definitely helping, keep that up. Once you get a bit more comfortable transferring an image of a person into a simplified figure. Try to then get some poses going from imagination.

i definitely will do that

Postby blankheART » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:08 pm

blankheART

here is today's work , the best thing of gesture is that i don't need the reference to be realistic art , it can be bit cartoon and i turn it into good pose :P
btw i really like the 1st pose :mrgreen:
1st.png

2nd.png

3rd.png

Postby Xiphor » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:07 am

Xiphor

Liking the hands on those figures man!

Postby blankheART » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:07 pm

blankheART

lazy working , so many distractions in my pc like anime or visual novels TT
also that 2nd pose , it's super hard , i couldn't get the head and the upper body right
1st.png

2nd.png

Postby blankheART » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:18 am

blankheART

still distracted by a game called steins gate , it's too good to leave XD
also i got bored of reference so the 2nd one i my creation
1st.png

2nd.png

Postby blankheART » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:23 pm

blankheART

sigh, sorry been busy. i did those all from mind , and i wanna say that trying to find a pose from mind so hard TT
so i guess i made a good progress in gesture and forms so i might go to the next step though i dont know what is it.
i did : 1- basic anatomy
2- proportion
3- gesture and forms
i think i should do perspective but i dont know what to do to apply it in people , i already know how to draw geometric perspective as in boxes , house and stop in two point
if you have any advice tell me
1st.png

Postby Xiphor » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:09 am

Xiphor

Hmm, your drawings are definitely improving. What i feel like could really help you is doing gesture drawings, i can see that u are already kinda doing that for each pose. Though i feel like you really need some mileage here, so Id suggest just doing sessions of maybe 10-15 gesture drawings. Also try to push the amount of time it takes for you to make the gesture. Idk how fast you do the gestures for the pose drawings but the average time for gestures is about 1 min per. Of course you can start with more time and decrease it as you feel more comfortable.

Its good that you are already starting to think of the body in 3D shapes as well, so keep that up!

Postby blankheART » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:23 am

blankheART

Xiphor wrote:Hmm, your drawings are definitely improving. What i feel like could really help you is doing gesture drawings, i can see that u are already kinda doing that for each pose. Though i feel like you really need some mileage here, so Id suggest just doing sessions of maybe 10-15 gesture drawings. Also try to push the amount of time it takes for you to make the gesture. Idk how fast you do the gestures for the pose drawings but the average time for gestures is about 1 min per. Of course you can start with more time and decrease it as you feel more comfortable.

Its good that you are already starting to think of the body in 3D shapes as well, so keep that up!

i did that :P well the fastest i could go is 2 min but i will try to make it 1 min . also , i got a problem in perspective as i said, i can't apply it well to my figures so the face and most of the body end up being weirdly thin , any advice ?

Postby Xiphor » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:12 pm

Xiphor

Well you kinda answered your own question, if you think that your figures are too thin...then dont draw them that thin. Its mostly a matter of habit right. If you cant really do the anatomy properly or if u want to incorporate fat then reference is best. Your figures arent looking too bad actually, the only thing id say that looks kinda awkward are the necks since they seem too thick, so id suggest you look into it a bit.

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook