Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Vixie » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:15 pm

Vixie

Subject title: Vixie´s studies and stuff

Hi, maybe i could introduce myself a little bit more, hope this won´t be too long :roll: as i wrote in ´Introduce yourself´ thread, i attended graphic design classes at school. Here besides PC graphics and design we also did traditional graphic techniques (like linocut, etching and so) and this really clicked with me, i found it amazing, both technically-wise and also the final prints (if you have the oporunity, definitely try it :P). This probably influenced my taste in art, i like graphic language of forms and shapes of plain colour, clear lines, and similar stuff (maybe i could make influence map when i have some spare time =)). Unfortunately when i finished this school I wasn´t very lucky and didn´g get to school where i wanted to go, so now, 3 years later i´m working and trying to get better at drawing in the evenings. One day i would probably want to be illustrator and book designer, but i should try harder if i want to achieve that.

Anyways, I´m scared of the amount of knowledge i lack at the moment and i don´t even know how to approach that. I´m working mainly on anatomy and some fundamentals (that would probably need some more efforts :D)

Unfortunately, my camera´s battery died today and i need to charge it, so now i will post some older drawings and stuff mostly from school, so later you can see if i improved =) Sorry for so much text and here are some pictures:

Menusova26x.jpg
One really crappy figure drawing. We did draw from life but weren´t really guided through anatomy and so.

pes007x.jpg
Printed etching of my dog =)

DSC03573.jpg
Framed prints of linocut

DSC03576.jpg
Selfportrait, paint and spray, really enjoyed doing this one =)

DSC03392x.jpg
Some plain air drawing (not sure if you call this plain air too =/)

autoportret.png
And one weird selfie so you can have some laughs =)

Didn´t want to post too many pictures at once, so here you have few examples of what i do, hopefully i will be able to post some studies tomorrow =)
Thank You for stopping by nd have a lovely day =)
Last edited by Vixie on Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hello. How are you? Have a nice Day. I'm socially awkward, sorry.
Sketchbook / Tumblr / deviantArt / Skype - if you'd like to chat: vixie.illustration

Postby PitE » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:24 pm

PitE

HEY THERE! NICE SKETCHBOOK. I"M AWKWARD TOO. HI.

anywaaaaays. Welcome to the forums! I really like the graphical appeal in your stuff right now especially with that self portrait with the birds and your face. :)

Postby Magaus » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:41 pm

Magaus

Hey there, wecolme aboard !

Even you being awkward I know you are not have problems around here, since you have already started w/ a really cool Sketchbook!

Want to see more ^^
My sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14195 (would love to read any critique)

Postby Vixie » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:28 pm

Vixie

YaY, i´m not alone!:D Thank you both for welcome :) i´m happy you like it, that means i´m heading in the right direction =)

@PitE i love your sketchbook, you have the faces...ALL THE FACES! :D
@Magaus i guess i will have to compensate mi weirdiness with stuff i produce :D
Sketchbook / Tumblr / deviantArt / Skype - if you'd like to chat: vixie.illustration

Postby PitE » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:32 pm

PitE

imo the weirder the better ;)

Postby Aeternal » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:39 pm

Aeternal

Hey, great start! Love that etching of your dog, I should really try that some day, seems loads of fun! :D
I do paintings and stuff
My sketchbook
My artstation

Postby SketchStudio » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:53 am

SketchStudio

I liked the framed prints! :)

Postby Vixie » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:08 am

Vixie

@Aeternal - It is fun! very messy fun though :D
@SketchStudio - Thanks, it was a gift, that´s why it looks more representational than my work usually do :D

Postby Vixie » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:08 pm

Vixie

So I finally got to take pictures of my older work (back to 7 months ago, when i started to study regularly) and i´m pretty sad how little i have done in all this time, i should really try harder =/ i´m trying to draw everyday since january, but i had some bad days when i hardly did move myself around and didn´t even think about drawing and sometimes i would draw one pose and be good for that day. i´m lazy piece of s**t sometimes =/

anyways, here are few pages from my study-sketchbooks (of course i picked the best ones :D)
anatomy/figure drawings (spoiler, because of loooads of pictures =)):
Spoiler: show
001.jpg
Very first "gesture drawings", you can say here, that i had no idea what gesture drawing was about =)

002.jpg
tried different medium, because pencil didn´t work for me here. it´s this reddish/brownish thing, somethinf between charcoal and graphite, don´t know how it´s called in english =/

003.jpg
here i was reading Hampton´s book and did some simplified anatomy studies. I have this kind of drawings for muscle groups he has in that book

004.jpg
tired of anatomy studies, i tried something else, but obviously have no idea how head works :D

005.jpg
and back to studies - hands =) some of these are kind of gestures, not very defined, just to capture the pose

006.jpg
legs are fun, legs are hard :D

007.jpg
and back to gesture/figure. i seem to go back in few weeks intervals =)

008.jpg
foreshortening troubles - didn´t really figured it out, but i´m not completely lost anymore =)

009.jpg
and again gesture anf figure =) i think i´m getting better slowly =)

and here is less study/more for funs stuff =)
Spoiler: show
012.jpg
emo...cow? or something? i really screwed up this one :D

013.jpg
some concepts for bigger project i have in mind for when i´m good enugh =) she´s supposed to be flying/levitating :D

014.jpg
so, yeah, i watched Pride an Prejudice :D and I instantly fell in love with Colin Firth´s Mr. Darcy =)

015.jpg
some (life) flower studies i attempted and really didn´t do well here, i´m not very good at drawing exactly what i see =/ and those poor flowers had to die because of me =(

018.jpg
when something bugs me and i try to figure it out, i often draw at work...these were supposed to be my to-do lists :D

now we finally get to my recent drawings (no more spoilers, this is serious stuff :D):

010.jpg
i´m bad at drawing heads and faces, so i´m trying to figure it out now

011.jpg
found amazing 3D skull-PDF, it´s very helpful =)

016.jpg
this is from my pocket-sketchbook i´m having in my backpack..do you know how walking works? i don´t :D

017.jpg
went through history books and some of the paintings cought my eyes. can you guess them? :P

uff, this took a lot of time (taking pictures, resizing them, uploading and writing stuff), so i didn´t manage to actually draw today, shame on me =( never will upload so many pictures at once again :D

Postby fey » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:47 pm

fey

Sometimes it is better to just stop for a 1-2 days to regain morale :D
deviantART
tumblr
artstation
process of my paintings:
gumroad or YT

Postby PitE » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:53 pm

PitE

I think you're gestures from 7 months ago look amazing!

Postby Vixie » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:55 am

Vixie

@fey - yop, that´s true :) and to feel that guilt for not holding a pencil for a day and urge to draw, it reminds you that it´s something that you just need to do :D

@PetE - thanks =) problem was that i just did outlines without thinking about actual movement and flow, so that excersise wasn´t very useful for gestures :D

Postby sketchstone » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:35 pm

sketchstone

First off thanks for leaving a comment in my sketchbook :)

I totally understand you when you said this! Im in the same boat as you. But at least we are acknolwedging and working towards it right? ^ ^
"Anyways, I´m scared of the amount of knowledge i lack at the moment and i don´t even know how to approach that. I´m working mainly on anatomy and some fundamentals (that would probably need some more efforts :D)"

Anyways, i really like your selfie painting, you got this rough almost vector like style in some of your work. Usually when i see that kind of styled artwork, it usually is a bit lifeless, but i think your work has a lot of life in it, so keep that up, looking forward to seeing more!
SKETCHSTONE'S "DAILY" SKETCHBOOK
Can you sign my sketchbook? ;)

Postby Oli » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:54 pm

Oli

some really cool studies goin' on in here!
My sketchbook | My dA | My Facebook

Life is too short for bad coffee!

Postby Vixie » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:55 pm

Vixie

@sketchstone - thank you for stopping by :) yes,we´re all working towards our goals in the same huge sea :D
you got this rough almost vector like style in some of your work. Usually when i see that kind of styled artwork, it usually is a bit lifeless, but i think your work has a lot of life in it, so keep that up, looking forward to seeing more!

thank you again, it´s really nice to hear that :roll: i´ve been neglecting more finished work lately because of all the studies i need to do to get better, but i should do more drawings just for fun, because i will burn out quickly this way :(

@oli - thanks man, i´m trying! :D

Postby Vixie » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:44 pm

Vixie

Few new pages of head/skull studies. Those are giving me some hard times, especially when head is tilted backwards. How does jaw work anyways? I feel like i will need at least 3 lifes to learn everything and i´m so slow :( Will I ever get to facial features? Who knows :D

Oh, and sorry for shitty quality, i need to buy a scanner asap, these photos suck balls :evil:

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

Postby PitE » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:04 pm

PitE

Yeah I hate the jaw. Why does it have to be so weird! But I think I kinda figured it out but I'll think you'll get it within the next week or maybe even tomorrow if you just keep at it :D

Postby LuisEC » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:07 am

LuisEC

nice work, great structure. I think you might be exaggerating the under plane of the jaw a bit much, keep those difficult angles up though..you'll figure it out :D

Postby Vixie » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:53 am

Vixie

yes, i will fight and i will win over this nasty jaws! :D i think i´m getting there, i just need to find balance between those jaw/underjaw forms and i will be just fine :D if i can´t get it right, i will do it wrong, observe why it´s wrong, do it wrong again and one day i will eventually do it right :D

Postby Skunk1724 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:55 am

Skunk1724

ahoy, so many heads nice study work lol good luck with the jaws :P
im personally scared of getting to that part of my anatomy study...

Postby Kyoobies » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:35 pm

Kyoobies

Good jaw-b with those studies! :D
..............okay you can punch me now, that joke was just awful :lol:
"Balsamic Vinegar" - Tsukasa Hiiragi

- - My [NSFW] Sketchbook! :D - - 21/m - -

Postby GlassLotus » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:15 am

GlassLotus

Woah O_O your art is seriously awesome. Love the realistic sketches. My favorite so far would have to be the landscapes.
Scribble scribble scribble. Ugh, it looks horrible. Erase erase erase. Auuugh it smudged. Eraaaaase. Nooooo!
You can check me out on DA here: GlassLotuses
And you can check me out on tumblr here: GlassLotuses
Skype: GlassLotus feel free to add me, I like chatting when I draw :)

Postby Vixie » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:02 am

Vixie

@Kyoobies - i don´t know what are you talking about, i lol´d at it....when i got the joke, i´m really slow so it took me some time:D

@GlassLotus - thank you :oops: i should do more drawing from real life, but it´s so easy to get lost in all those details :?

Postby lonely_duckling » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:20 am

lonely_duckling

I really like the self portrait you did, your use of shading and colors in that one were really cool. Your other stuff was great too, especially your studies of human heads/faces

Postby Fergato » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:22 pm

Fergato

Nice sketchbook Vixie!
I like the ballpen drawings!
Our learning path never ends... Keep practicing.

My Instagram.

Next

Return to Sketchbook