Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Cuthalion » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:17 am

Cuthalion

Subject title: Cuthalion's Sketchbook

Hullo there. Last January I decided I wanted to get better at drawing and the best way to do so was to practice. I got just under 300 done the first year, and am keeping more on track this year. It's fun, and I'm learning a lot.

I'll post some of the best of my recent drawings.

As you can see, I draw quite a number of animals. They're the ones you see here mostly because they're the ones I like best. I also am trying to make myself do more humans, but those are a work in progress. I'll start posting dailies here, I think. Because it's better if I get feedback on the ones that need it more, probably.

Postby ArtKouki » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:15 pm

ArtKouki

Since you're so active in my channel I wanted to check yours out.

The first thing I noticed:
- I think you LOVE birds :D :D
Pretty cool drawings so far. I haven't drawn a bird before but I think you should figure out how to capture their feathers more realistically.
The birds' overall forms seem right.
I think this could be quite hard, because I'm doing quite the same thing right now:
I'm trying to figure out how to capture the human hair in a way in which those brushstrokes resemble actual hair.
Well, it's quite hard for me...

Nevertheless those are pretty cool drawings! Please keep practicing! Let's get better together ;D

PS: If it is not too hard for you: Maybe try to post a drawing every day or every two days.
Doesn't matter if the drawing is actually finished or not. I. for myself, like to see how artists struggle in finding the perfect pose/stroke.
That's a much better way for me to understand/learn from that artist.

Postby Cuthalion » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:58 pm

Cuthalion

ArtKouki wrote:Since you're so active in my channel I wanted to check yours out.

The first thing I noticed:
- I think you LOVE birds :D :D
Pretty cool drawings so far. I haven't drawn a bird before but I think you should figure out how to capture their feathers more realistically.
The birds' overall forms seem right.
I think this could be quite hard, because I'm doing quite the same thing right now:
I'm trying to figure out how to capture the human hair in a way in which those brushstrokes resemble actual hair.
Well, it's quite hard for me...

Nevertheless those are pretty cool drawings! Please keep practicing! Let's get better together ;D

PS: If it is not too hard for you: Maybe try to post a drawing every day or every two days.
Doesn't matter if the drawing is actually finished or not. I. for myself, like to see how artists struggle in finding the perfect pose/stroke.
That's a much better way for me to understand/learn from that artist.

Thank you! :)

Like I said, they're what I draw best and tend to show people.
Hmm... it's actually not very easy to do that with pen. I don't know.
Hair is haaaard.

Thank you!

Sure!

And yes I will do so. As a matter of fact here are some new ones.

I'm at the point in my drawing where I'm starting to copy other drawings again. I did it at first, but then discarded it as a crutch, and now I figure it's a helpful learning device.

There was nothing else to draw at the time.
This is a hoopoe, but I'm not too enthusiastic about it.
Kitty!
Doggy!
These next two are copied from drawings in an animal drawing book. I want to get better at drawing cows and horses.

Postby Jesturr » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:09 am

Jesturr

You should never think of drawing from reference as a crutch - observation is our key means of improvement as an artist, and drawing from imagination a test of what we've observed.

Great sketchbook so far! I love the pen drawings of animals, they're very attractive!
And also that cow butt ehehehehhehehehheheheheh = w=

Postby Cuthalion » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:41 am

Cuthalion

Jesturr wrote:You should never think of drawing from reference as a crutch - observation is our key means of improvement as an artist, and drawing from imagination a test of what we've observed.

Great sketchbook so far! I love the pen drawings of animals, they're very attractive!

Well, at the beginning, if you copy other people's drawings without doing anything of your own, it can hold you back. I did about enough that it helped me when I wanted to venture out on my own.

Postby SplitableInf » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:59 am

SplitableInf

Cuthalion wrote:
Jesturr wrote:You should never think of drawing from reference as a crutch - observation is our key means of improvement as an artist, and drawing from imagination a test of what we've observed.

Well, at the beginning, if you copy other people's drawings without doing anything of your own, it can hold you back. I did about enough that it helped me when I wanted to venture out on my own.

First of all the sketches are fantastic! I love the energy and the very loose use of color! YEAH!

Secondly, I think it's ok (and even important) to copy stuff from reference as long as you're actively learning from it. Like, trying to figure out how they did that certain "thing" you thought was appealing in the first place so you can later apply it to your own drawings.
Somehow I ended up with an instagram??? That's how all the cool kids share their art, right??
https://www.instagram.com/artofamandanp/

Also I have like an art website or something....
https://www.artofamandanp.com/

Postby Kuronuma » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:33 am

Kuronuma

Great sketches :)
Check out my deviantart! http://psycadela.deviantart.com/
And my sketchbook viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8210&start=340 :)

Oh oh! I created my fb page! https://www.facebook.com/psycadela

Postby svarn » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:00 am

svarn

Awasome animals ! Wanna say birds especially, but I really like that cat and horses too.

That piano got me interested, is it yours ? are you playing ? or was that not from life ?

Postby Cuthalion » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:47 pm

Cuthalion

Kuronuma wrote:Great sketches :)
svarn wrote:Awasome animals ! Wanna say birds especially, but I really like that cat and horses too.

That piano got me interested, is it yours ? are you playing ? or was that not from life ?

Thank you!

Unfortunately it's not mine... :| I would like if it were... it's currently, to the best of my knowledge, in my grandparents' house.
SplitableInf wrote:
Cuthalion wrote:

First of all the sketches are fantastic! I love the energy and the very loose use of color! YEAH!

Secondly, I think it's ok (and even important) to copy stuff from reference as long as you're actively learning from it. Like, trying to figure out how they did that certain "thing" you thought was appealing in the first place so you can later apply it to your own drawings.

Thank you!

Yes, that's rather what I'm doing. I like her drawing, and I want to figure out what it is that makes them pop. Our styles are already fairly similar just because I started out by copying her drawings. The difference being, she's professional and I'm not. So I'm trying to get more of a feel for that as well as drawing things I can't see in real life.

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:20 pm

Ambiguity

You might wanna work on your line weight if you're going to leave these as line sketches, but other than that they're pretty nice :).

Postby Cuthalion » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:32 pm

Cuthalion

Ambiguity wrote:You might wanna work on your line weight if you're going to leave these as line sketches, but other than that they're pretty nice :).

Which ones in particular?

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:31 pm

Ambiguity

All of them, I meant learn to control your line weight as a general skill. Also, it'd be better if you would suggest textures like feathers and fur rather than trying to outline every single piece, it'll look more natural and less busy,

Postby Fantelle » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:03 pm

Fantelle

This one..
    Spoiler: show

..is really nice! I'd love to see more of these :)

Postby Paula41297 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:12 pm

Paula41297

Awesome pen and ink sketches! :D

Postby kikiko24 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:45 pm

kikiko24

I really like the watercolor pieces, but then again I really like watercolor! :D

Postby Cuthalion » Tue May 12, 2015 4:55 am

Cuthalion

Thank you!

I've been trying to get more dynamic line weight, not sure how that's going.

Anatomy studies

Postby kikiko24 » Tue May 12, 2015 4:59 am

kikiko24

I can see it tad bit. Keep practicing! :D

Are you using different pens with different line weights? If you're not, then that can help with more dynamic lines!

Postby bonermonkeymilk » Tue May 12, 2015 5:04 am

bonermonkeymilk

Nice body studies and animals. I would love to see a monkey or gorilla.

Postby Cuthalion » Tue May 12, 2015 2:20 pm

Cuthalion

bonermonkeymilk wrote:Nice body studies and animals. I would love to see a monkey or gorilla.

That could be arranged. ;)
kikiko24 wrote:I can see it tad bit. Keep practicing! :D

Are you using different pens with different line weights? If you're not, then that can help with more dynamic lines!

I mostly did it on the llama and camel.

Yes, I'm using a range of Microns from .01 to 1, with a brush tip. I typically go up to around .08 though with a small size.

Postby Cuthalion » Wed May 13, 2015 4:01 am

Cuthalion

Been trying to work on body parts I can draw without reference on images.

Also a derpy little comic with a fair amount of backstory.

Postby ArtKouki » Wed May 13, 2015 3:09 pm

ArtKouki

Oh, nice, some drawings of people. Like em! Keep up the practice :D

Postby kaponsh » Wed May 13, 2015 8:11 pm

kaponsh

great pen drawings! you are very skillfull with the pen :D

Postby Cuthalion » Wed May 20, 2015 3:15 pm

Cuthalion

Thank you!

Pastels are fun.
Noses are not quite as fun.
There was a really tame deer that let me go up to him and draw him and pet him and feel the contours of his head.
Treeees
Neighborhood sketchies.

Postby Oli » Wed May 20, 2015 4:39 pm

Oli

Cuthalion wrote:Yes, I'm using a range of Microns from .01 to 1, with a brush tip. I typically go up to around .08 though with a small size.

you could try inking with a brush or nib. this might enable you to get more dynamic lines. anyway, awesome work!
My sketchbook | My dA | My Facebook

Life is too short for bad coffee!

Postby Cuthalion » Sun May 24, 2015 3:55 am

Cuthalion

Next

Return to Sketchbook