Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby tiagoplaza » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:56 pm

tiagoplaza

Subject title: tiagoplaza's sketchbook

So I got my hands on a tablet last week and these were what I was able to come up with. Still having a hard time with regard to choosing colors that work but I feel that I've improved on drawing hands (thanks to sketchdaily). Will try to update this sketchbook with at least one illustration and maybe 2 or three studies per week (if my work schedule permits it).

sketchdaily hand studies-edited.jpg
Something i did just recently after discovering sketchdaily. Timed myself to draw these in less than 5 minutes.

before and after.jpg
The first illustration i worked on a couple of days after i got the tablet. At this point i was still feeling my way through using the thing and also didn't have any idea on whether i should use the brush or pen tool on SAI.

trese-edited.jpg
Inspired by a Philippine/Filipino comic book character. Really liked how this turned out. Used only the default brush and an eraser for both lineart and colors. Was also able to play around with layer luminosity and blend modes. Still have to work on a lot of things (facial symmetry, ears, and hair) though.

BTW, English isn't my native language so apologies for any lapses in grammar/sentence construction, spelling, and whatnot. :)

Postby tiagoplaza » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:22 pm

tiagoplaza

had a sketchdaily challenge yesterday and I had a better understanding of drawing poses and proportions. feet and hands are still problems for me as well as drawing from memory/imagination but I think I can do well when it comes to drawing from reference now.

Spoiler: show
sketchdaily activities 1- edited.jpg
i could only complete about 50-60 percent of the poses at first. the way i sketch is really inefficient since i tend to go crazy with my lines.

sketchdaily activities 3-edited.jpg
found an interesting shape when i was trying to go over the finished sketches. will try to use this in future to see if it can improve my gesture drawings.

sketchdaily activities 4-edited.jpg
was feeling more confident this time around and would have continued if not for my internet connection getting cut off. the head at an angle drawing was drawn today for practice as well (still seems off).

saw a couple of posts mentioning ctrl+paint and i might just try it today or tomorrow when i get the chance.

Postby L3V » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:17 pm

L3V

I really like the gesture drawings!

Postby tiagoplaza » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:37 pm

tiagoplaza

L3V14TH4N wrote:I really like the gesture drawings!

@L3V14TH4N Good to know you liked them!

Was thinking of doing studies on the male figure next but settled on drawing hands instead as I still seem to have issues with them.

hand studies part 2-edited.jpg
these came out much better than I expected them to be. had to edit a couple of them though since they originally looked off.

Postby tiagoplaza » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:54 pm

tiagoplaza

Really suck at facial proportions.

speed sketch faces - edited.jpg
another sketchdaily challenge. gave myself 5 minutes to draw each face (excluding the plague doctor) and didn't like the outcome. still have a lot of things to work out with the eyes and drawing the face at odd angles. might have to look at the loomis method again.

Postby tiagoplaza » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:33 pm

tiagoplaza

been feeling kinda down lately so wasn't able to update yesterday. here are a couple of (lazy) exercises i did yesterday.

gesture drawings 4-edited.jpg

gesture drawings 3-edited.jpg

gesture drawings 2-edited.jpg

foot studies-edited.jpg

foot studies 2-edited.jpg

Postby L3V » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:20 pm

L3V

I like the feets! Don't give up!

Postby tiagoplaza » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:38 am

tiagoplaza

L3V14TH4N wrote:I like the feets! Don't give up!

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'd say my emotional investment in art is already at the point where giving up isn't an option but it's always good to hear/read people encouraging me to continue. Appreciate you taking the time to check out my progress dude.

gesture drawings 03-15-2015-resized.jpg

gesture drawings 2 03-15-2015-resized.jpg

gesture drawings 3 03-15-2015-resized.jpg

Postby Gevoian » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:44 am

Gevoian

nice, ur doing tons of anatomy and gestures, i wish i did as much as that, but i dont do as many as i should be doing

Postby tiagoplaza » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:24 am

tiagoplaza

Gevoian wrote:nice, ur doing tons of anatomy and gestures, i wish i did as much as that, but i dont do as many as i should be doing

thanks! yeah, i guess it's because i don't really feel confident drawing gestures or anatomically correct body parts. i usually only do about 10-15 drawings at 2-5 minutes each on a daily basis just to familiarize myself with the gestures and whatnot. i feel it's great for practice, especially if you're out of ideas or concepts to draw. you could just start a sketchdaily or pixelovely slideshow, start drawing, and then you find a pose you like and build on that (which is what i do most of the time).

btw, checked your sketchbook and i'm really digging your drawing progress and style man.

Postby tiagoplaza » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:56 pm

tiagoplaza

although I haven't drawn as much as I wanted to the past week, I did get to start work on this piece (about 30 minutes). Tried to apply some of the things I learned watching those gesture and figure drawing Proko vids on YT.

wip-miku-cropped.jpg

also a little warm up before i did the drawing above

anatomy for the spatially challenged-cropped.jpg

Postby tiagoplaza » Mon May 04, 2015 1:32 pm

tiagoplaza

so it's been a while since i last posted something on here.

worked on these over the weekend while watching Game 7 of the spurs vs clips and the disappointment that was pacmay.

kvd sideview-final.jpg
actually enjoyed working on this but i feel that there's a lot of things wrong with it.

hoodie man - wip.jpg
would have wanted to develop this more but had a really hard time with those arms. somehow the proportions still seem off.

critiques are very much appreciated (no need to hold back :) )

Postby tiagoplaza » Tue May 05, 2015 6:53 pm

tiagoplaza

since i couldn't focus on writing with my stiff neck thought of doing a study of mathilda from leon the professional (a film by luc besson). block-in and linework took around 10-15 minutes. zoomed out to eyeball it for a couple of minutes and found lots of possible issues with eyes and lips. still might try rendering this tomorrow if the neck still bothers me.

mathilda study-linework cropped.jpg
reference photo isn't of the best quality :(

Postby tiagoplaza » Wed May 06, 2015 4:00 pm

tiagoplaza

started on the rendering this evening! fixed the neck, eyes (to some extent), and position/relative sizes of foreground objects (at least i think i fixed them hahaha). took a page from sinix's playbook and applied colors and defined my values as well as some highlights on a layer below the linework (which i set to multiply). not too happy with the first color palette though so i might change that later on. still need to write so will have to work on this again tomorrow.

mathilda study-colors and value block-in cropped.jpg

Postby Paula41297 » Wed May 06, 2015 5:33 pm

Paula41297

Great sketches! :D I like where the last one is heading, but you could try to move the mouth up just a bit, though ^^

Postby tiagoplaza » Thu May 07, 2015 10:13 am

tiagoplaza

Paula41297 wrote:Great sketches! :D I like where the last one is heading, but you could try to move the mouth up just a bit, though ^^

thanks! yeah, am planning to correct that when i have the time later. probably will play around with the colors and values to make the lips look similar to the ref just to see if that would work. if not then i could always go with moving them up using the selection tool :)

on another note, i found my sketchbook and started drawing/scribbling/doodling faces for about 10-15 minutes and got this. will try to do proper anatomy and still life studies using pen and paper next time.

sketchbook.jpg

Postby tiagoplaza » Thu May 07, 2015 3:18 pm

tiagoplaza

hulk loves leg day!! or berserker hulk

CB_Medieval Hulk WIP-cropped.jpg

a WIP for a challenge in another site (theme: medieval avengers). still not sure if i'll submit or even finish this though. did have fun playing around with the colors and pose which looks like he's having this massive poop! haha

will get to work on the mathilda study (that for some reason i've been neglecting) in a while. hopefully i'll be able to finish both by today or tomorrow.

Postby tiagoplaza » Sun May 10, 2015 12:32 pm

tiagoplaza

although this was a bad week for my body (both knees got injured while playing pickup bball), i'm still thankful since i was able to focus on drawing again.

i got so obsessed with the coloring on this mathilda study that i forgot about checking facial proportions hence the weird-looking eyes (coincidentally, the picture was all about the eyes!) still could've made this work but considering the time spent on this piece (2+ hours) made it not worth the time anymore. will probably come back to this once my schedule permits it.

mathilda study-branch final.jpg

Postby tiagoplaza » Tue May 12, 2015 3:27 pm

tiagoplaza

still unable to put weight on the right knee since injuring it last week :cry: good thing is it has allowed me to focus on drawing. however since i'm a lazy-ass these are still all wips.

not sure who this is going to turn into. also not feeling comfortable with the feet.
will need to fix the left arm and then add colors. still haven't decided on a color palette and background.

critiques are appreciated!

Postby Fergato » Tue May 12, 2015 3:30 pm

Fergato

Let me say you're improving a lot buddy. It's good to see that.
Now, when it comes to paint, you maybe want to use a sharper brush. Let the soft ones for shading. That will let you define the edges better. :D
Our learning path never ends... Keep practicing.

My Instagram.

Postby tiagoplaza » Sat May 16, 2015 4:01 pm

tiagoplaza

Fergato wrote:Let me say you're improving a lot buddy. It's good to see that.
Now, when it comes to paint, you maybe want to use a sharper brush. Let the soft ones for shading. That will let you define the edges better. :D

It's also good to know that i seem to be improving from someone else's POV. Thanks for also pointing out re: the soft brushes. Actually, I'm just using the default simple circle brush on SAI, i would've wanted to use PS but I can't seem to get my tablet (non-wacom) to work well with it. will try to at least give SAI's other brushes a try.

On another note, here's another sketchdump. thumbnails and preliminary sketches for a weekly challenge from another site.

Postby tiagoplaza » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:19 am

tiagoplaza

back after a looooong time

Postby tiagoplaza » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:38 pm

tiagoplaza

value studies since i can't sleep

Postby Audiazif » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:44 pm

Audiazif

Great work and nice value studies. Keep it up. :)
If I could make a suggestion it would be to not work on a white background. Not working on a white bg may help with your values.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby tiagoplaza » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:46 pm

tiagoplaza

Audiazif wrote:Great work and nice value studies. Keep it up. :)
If I could make a suggestion it would be to not work on a white background. Not working on a white bg may help with your values.

thanks for the suggestion! :)

50+ minutes and i'm still not done. smh

Next

Return to Sketchbook