Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Shifter » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:20 pm

Shifter

Subject title: Shifter's sketchbook

Spam spam spam

One more spitpaint.. actually 2nd try of it, where I tried to lean more towards pastel colors and generally colors that are not saturated a lot [The ones I always pick]
I like the result.. especially as I barely managed to hit the perspective so-so..

And of course, a bit of studies.. now I tried to imagine some kind of shading all over the crappy sketches I made..
Most of them are showing exaggerated forms of the muscles and maybe not really good formed.. but I liked it as an experiment. Had a lot of fun with erasers while defining the lines and shading :3
17-12-14-2 Monster in the street [Experimenting2].jpg
Monster in the street [v2]
PC190001.JPG
Biceps as an item for "upgrade"
PC190002.JPG
1st - Fail
PC190003.JPG
2nd try
PC190004.JPG
Guess the position
PC190005.JPG
Guess the position 2
PC190006.JPG
Guess the position 3
Check out my sketchbook and leave a comment, I don't bite.. yet ^^

Watch me on deviantART or I'll bite you C:

Postby Fergato » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:33 pm

Fergato

Impressive anatomy studies dude! I really like the hands
Our learning path never ends... Keep practicing.

My Instagram.

Postby Shifter » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:21 pm

Shifter

Thanks fregato, I do try.. but it still ain't what I am looking for :D

Here is one spitpaint from today.. I am happy with it even dough I did use a reference
It is quite "sharp" that is something I dislike

Currently I have a ratio of 5:1 of fails compared to semi-successful spitpaintings xD
1.jpg
Riverbank

Postby Shifter » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:45 pm

Shifter

The moment when you make something good and you don't even know how did you end up there xD

Anyways, this one I like :D

Spitpaint 30min Burning fields
1.jpg
Burning fields

Postby welume » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:11 pm

welume

Looks nice, I like the colors on your last painting c:

Postby zlyczlowiek » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:10 pm

zlyczlowiek

Ow, youre into spitpaint group and posting these there? I recognise the topic. :roll:

Postby Shifter » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:21 pm

Shifter

Thank you welume :D

And yes zly, I do post these in the spitpaint group. But I do have a lot of fails while trying to do these.. usually something like the ratio I've mentioned above 5 fails to 1 successful ^^

btw, does your nick means something like Evil Man? xD
When I read it on Serbian it sounds quite like that haha

Postby ElisaClaes » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:32 am

ElisaClaes

if you really are a beginner you have a lot of talent think of portraits like with other things look for shapes proportion and the real values it looks like you painted the things too much how you think they look and not how they really are. but at this tempo you'll be pro in no time :roll:

Postby Shifter » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:26 am

Shifter

Well, I look on myself as a beginner because I started taking this a bit more seriously like 2, 3 months ago. But I'm still not working as much as I want
Still slacking off and wandering around, trying to find the way to progress further

I thought I've posted the process of that portrait earlier on but now I remember that the forum had the problem with [img] tags and the whole animation image had like 6mb or smth, so I couldn't upload it as an attachment :)

Basically what it is.. is just a set of fails, lots of tutorials and trying over and over again to get it working

Process:
Spoiler: show
So it all started after watching levelUp sessions where Wojtek Fus was explaining how he paints portraits.
And how its all basically simple, everything is a smooooth,just add couple of sharp edges here and there and voila, you got yourself a portrait. I was like.. yeah, I can do that, noooo problem

1. The sketch is actually 2nd attempt, first day was looking pretty much awkward
2. The day after that I was exhausted and just did the lightning study where I got the idea to place the light from above [Something I won't follow later because of reasons xD]
3. Earlier on I saw Shaddy Safadi doing the paintings with "undercolor" so I got the idea to do the same. That was second layer of undercolor, first one was even more ridiculous [Here I was laughing to myself because it looks like nothing]
4. Then I've added her some of the colors I want. She originally has black hair, I made it a tad more red and the coat is a bit differently colored. She also got a zombie skin tone lol
5. After this I started trying out applying the knowledge from this tutorial - SKIN a tutorial Part 1 by navate
6. Then I've added shadows, highlights and warmth [This was all first attempt.. later on I will have to do it again]
7. Added eye which I made earlier on. As you can see its quite saturated and not really fitting the rest of the image so later on I've darken it a bit
8. First thing I tried was the Nose. I've read couple of tutorials online and one book I had on basic drawing.. made some kind of nose I liked
9. Same goes for the eyes. Here I first did a study of eyes [Mine] so the outcome came out to be a bit like my eyes lol
10. Mouth, same thing although they've came out to be quite cartoonish and with hard edges
11. LevelUp! Session with FengZhu. Among the other things, feng said.. don't be afraid to work on one layer and fuckup, you can correct it later. So I did just that, merge all and start rolling around in circles until it looks right [Although I had a backup PSD.. yes, am a coward xD]
12. Back then I reworked her mouth according to one tutorial from deviant art, I think it was this one - Semi realism lips step by step by felicemelancholie
13. Then I posted it here in critique subforum and got feedback from people. Mostly it was about the nose and mouth which were in wrong perspective, color tone, her eyes, values etc xD
14. I was doing this for couple of days until I though it was good enough. Mouth was still pain in the neck.. didn't know how to fix them
15. Around here I've started going over the tutorial for hair - Paintiing realistic hair tutorial by magicnaanavi. Of course I failed
16. After that I was just reworking and reworking.
17. Couldn't make myself working anymore [I think 2 weeks passed along the way] and I've just cropped it and adjusted couple of things a bit

After that I've started practicing anatomy because, as you already said, I was thinking more about the things I see rather than how they really are..
I think that 2nd attempt will be much better and that will wait till the next year around the same time I did this one :D

Postby Shao » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:35 pm

Shao

Shifter wrote:The moment when you make something good and you don't even know how did you end up there xD

Anyways, this one I like :D

Spitpaint 30min Burning fields

looks like scene from "true detective" , cool colors
and fantastic studies, recognised academic way of drawing

Postby NesoKaiyoH » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:21 pm

NesoKaiyoH

Your textures are looking really good for the environments, and the sketches are coming along nicely. Keep up the good work : D
20 - F - Student - Future concept artist and manga illustrator!

My Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?t=11533
My deviantART: http://nesokaiyoh.deviantart.com
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/digitalartistrachelwalpole
My ArtStation: http://www.artstation.com/artist/nesokaiyoh

Postby Shifter » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:57 pm

Shifter

Shao wrote:looks like scene from "true detective" , cool colors

Carcosa!

Btw, studies maybe look that way because I am learning from Bridgman's book.. and that guy really makes some practical approach to the whole thing :D
When I start doing studies from photos, I will do the same most likely. First to setup construction like that and imagine the bones/muscle underneath.. exaggerate their shapes a bit
Then do another one to try with details and everything :P

NesoKaiyoH wrote:Your textures are looking really good for the environments, and the sketches are coming along nicely. Keep up the good work : D

Thanks Neso :)

Postby kaponsh » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:49 pm

kaponsh

cool painting man :D you can see a lot of progress in your work

Postby z4m97 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:08 pm

z4m97

the burning tree just gave my eyes an orgasm ._.

Postby Shifter » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:48 pm

Shifter

Thank you guys :D

These days I only have more anatomy drawings and some shitty speedpaintings [ 1 was good!!1!.. from like 10 of them xD]
Although I will need some feedback tomorrow when I post mah first master study haha
Any kind of directions for approaching that specific topic are appreciated :3

Postby z4m97 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:08 pm

z4m97

Shifter wrote:Thank you guys :D

These days I only have more anatomy drawings and some shitty speedpaintings [ 1 was good!!1!.. from like 10 of them xD]
Although I will need some feedback tomorrow when I post mah first master study haha
Any kind of directions for approaching that specific topic are appreciated :3

just post the image buddy xD

Postby Shifter » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:29 pm

Shifter

There ya go :P

Some recent anatomy copies/studies from Bridgman [Bad camera.. bad!]

Few "successful" spitpaints

"Guardian of the fruit tree" that got a new hairstyle

Frozen freezer.. kinda like a comic/clip art

And here's the "I don't know what am I doing" study.. which is not finished yet

So, first I copied the picture to the one the right and did some kind of filter over it [Forgot which one] to make it simpler. Used a color picker 3x3 to sample colors and draw swatches and approx. how do they compare to each other. After that I too and bade a b/w copy to simply the shapes a bit, used a 5x5 picker to sample the mid values and paint over to get it unified or whatever. Beside that I've tried to figure out a thing or two about composition.. I don't know anything about it, okay.. maybe just some basics :D On the lower right side are the enlarged examples of the picture which I kinda like [Not all of them but hell.. I had to fill it up haha]. And up above are the attempts to create something based on those colors and observations.

I hope to make some swatches for color by which I would then be able to paint faster specific stuff, like i.e. clouds. I like how the 2nd attempt at painting clouds came out.. waves are pathetic, sand.. meh

any and all suggestions are appreciated! :D

Postby z4m97 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:45 pm

z4m97

just an advice: instead of copying (as you said you did) try finding the structure on the study subject...
great studies so far tho :D

Postby Shifter » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:01 pm

Shifter

My English ain't the best, how do you mean find the structure? :3

Is it like.. try to imagine how did he paint the whole picture?
Lets say he first painted dunno.. a bunch of purples/blues/greens and then painted over that with yellowish brown so that he has that undercolor or smth xD

Postby z4m97 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:05 pm

z4m97

Shifter wrote:My English ain't the best, how do you mean find the structure? :3

Is it like.. try to imagine how did he paint the whole picture?
Lets say he first painted dunno.. a bunch of purples/blues/greens and then painted over that with yellowish brown so that he has that undercolor or smth xD

in colors try to imagine how he came around with it, how the brushstrokes are done and where, and in the anatomy ones, try to actually do the shapes yourself, without seeing, then compare, correct and repeat...

Postby Shifter » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:37 pm

Shifter

As for the anatomy, yes I will try to do that with those examples on top. For the colors, I don't really know how to approach that
I can see where he has some kind of color reaching from underneath but I don't know how to replicate that, each time I completely cover that "undercolor" while attempting to paint over it lol
The same problem was when I was doing that Serena portrait, lots of attempts to try and achieve undercolor "effect" but mostly all failed

Postby NesoKaiyoH » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:40 pm

NesoKaiyoH

Looking good, alot of good practices and studies here. Keep it up, I love the anatomy stuff!
20 - F - Student - Future concept artist and manga illustrator!

My Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?t=11533
My deviantART: http://nesokaiyoh.deviantart.com
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/digitalartistrachelwalpole
My ArtStation: http://www.artstation.com/artist/nesokaiyoh

Postby z4m97 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:49 pm

z4m97

Shifter wrote:As for the anatomy, yes I will try to do that with those examples on top. For the colors, I don't really know how to approach that
I can see where he has some kind of color reaching from underneath but I don't know how to replicate that, each time I completely cover that "undercolor" while attempting to paint over it lol
The same problem was when I was doing that Serena portrait, lots of attempts to try and achieve undercolor "effect" but mostly all failed

im not experienced in colors so i dont know what to say D:

Postby kaponsh » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:48 pm

kaponsh

cool studies :D

Postby Shifter » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:15 am

Shifter

Thank you guys.. girls :D

z4m97 wrote:im not experienced in colors so i dont know what to say D:

I will try anyways! I think I need to start making my own brushes... I could use some tutorial on that lol
Maybe I could ease up my life by making some custom brush

btw lol for deviantArt pm xD

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook