Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Nishrek » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:51 pm

Nishrek

Subject title: Nishrek's sketchbook

My attempt to draw some different clothes/armors
My sketchbook. Weird and mundane things
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10968

Postby Nishrek » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:09 pm

Nishrek

Here we have drawings from reference photos. I tried two different approaches to shading. I think cross-hatching gives me better effects (and it is more precise)
Also I work with "Natural Way To Draw", there is a task called "modeled drawing" Basically it is drawing whole figure with cross-contours with a crayon. But you have to make the contour darker/harder when surface is going further away from you. So in theory it should give some 3d effect. The exercise is fun, so i post it here. But a crayon is not my favorite tool, so the effect may look weird

Postby Nishrek » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:42 pm

Nishrek

A fighting scene from my mind...

Postby Nishrek » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:26 pm

Nishrek

This was supposed to be drunken dwarf. Turned out a generic dude :/

Postby Nishrek » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:37 pm

Nishrek

I really like Nikolaides' book. Some exercises can be tedious as hell (*cough* contour drawings*cough*), but it pays off. After few modeled drawings I do feel change. I have a better comprehension of volume and mass of object (but I still practice this a lot). So few more this drawings

Postby Maywolf » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:40 pm

Maywolf

Hey there,

Nice to see you're making progress! For instance your lines got cleaner and more decisive. Two things that might help:
You said you have a problem with your lines getting too messy / confusing. When drawing faces (especially from reference), try not to put down every single feature you see, but rather to simplify a bit. Consider, for instance, the area around the mouth: you don't necessarily have to put down every line you might see around the lips. Especially in the case of male characters it might look weird / feminine if you put down all of the upper and lower lips. Hope this doesn't sound confusing - if it does just ask and I will clarify.
The other thing is about your crayon drawings. Maybe I overlooked it, but what do you want to do with those? If you want to use tohse to practice silhouettes and proportion, maybe try a) smaller drawings and b) using darker colors like black. If you make your drawings smaller you can easily repeat the same pose / figure several times on the same paper in order to practice more, or you could also do more variations in the same space. Darker colors might also help you recognize misproportions better, since the contrast is higher (might be just a personal thing, but maybe it helps).

Keep it up though - and (as has been said before here), don't worry too much about every single aspect of anatomy in your drawings. Even if you're going for a more realistic style, try to just let your imagination fly once in a while, by just putting down some poses and stuff and going with your gut feeling, instead of studying every single muscle placement all the time :)

Postby NesoKaiyoH » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:21 pm

NesoKaiyoH

I still can't believe how much you draw honestly XD So many sketches all over the place :'D
20 - F - Student - Future concept artist and manga illustrator!

My Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?t=11533
My deviantART: http://nesokaiyoh.deviantart.com
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/digitalartistrachelwalpole
My ArtStation: http://www.artstation.com/artist/nesokaiyoh

Postby z4m97 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:30 pm

z4m97

wow, those crayons really help a lot, maybe i should try them o.O
i did couple of those when sketching an archer character, really fun to do :D
its amazing to see your improvement, keep workin hard, theres a lot of way to go for every artist on the world, the harder you work, the longer your steps :)

Postby Nishrek » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:57 pm

Nishrek

Thank's for the feedback guys! Really!
Maywolf wrote:Especially in the case of male characters it might look weird / feminine if you put down all of the upper and lower lips

Yeah it might. The Point is to learn how to do this without making a face look feminine. I want to achieve that also!
Maywolf wrote:The other thing is about your crayon drawings. Maybe I overlooked it, but what do you want to do with those?

Here is description, directly from the book
Spoiler: show

I try to followit. Because chapters are very tightly connected I do not want to omit anything. In theory the point of exercise is see figure more three-dimensional. Nicolaides emphasized the sense of touch. So he wanted to learn students how to "virtually" touch a subject to feel mass/volume
z4m97 wrote:wow, those crayons really help a lot, maybe i should try them o.O

Go ahead! Although crayons are very difficult (for me at least, I have no idea how to achieve something as precise as examples above from the book)
NesoKaiyoH wrote:I still can't believe how much you draw honestly XD So many sketches all over the place :'D

Thanks! But I have to learn how to organize my time better
Nishrek wrote:Even if you're going for a more realistic style, try to just let your imagination fly once in a while

So here we have...
Some insectile thingy...
Some water spirit. Here I wanted to draw a liquid/flowing form. Also because of that it is female I am not sure, if I haven't overdone her breasts though.

Postby z4m97 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:08 pm

z4m97

controlling the crayon is like controllintg anything else the harder you press the thicker and darker the line so try to start like REALLY light

Postby Nishrek » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:47 pm

Nishrek

Two pics today
A face from reference
The reference photo
Spoiler: show

Some dragon-like creature

Postby kaponsh » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:54 pm

kaponsh

nice work! you made a lot of progress :D

Postby Nishrek » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:10 pm

Nishrek

Today something a bit more dynamic (at least I hope it looks that way)

Postby z4m97 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:27 pm

z4m97

yep, it does :D

Postby Nishrek » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:33 pm

Nishrek

z4m97 wrote:yep, it does :D

Thanks!
Today only two anatomy studies. I sometimes has feeling that I do forget the parts which I studied few days ago :/ Or maybe I simply need more patience

Postby z4m97 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:01 pm

z4m97

you dont need to remember all the muscles, you just need to remember how they look :D

Postby axelsior » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:16 am

axelsior

z4m97 wrote:you dont need to remember all the muscles, you just need to remember how they look :D

And the way they work!

Even then, for most of us, we only need to know the major muscle groups, unless we're going into like hyper-realistic over-rendered nude drawings.

Postby Nishrek » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:58 pm

Nishrek

axelsior wrote:
z4m97 wrote:you dont need to remember all the muscles, you just need to remember how they look :D

And the way they work!

Yep, I need to work on this (pun not intended), it is easier to remember placement than what action what muscle does... I still have problem with drawing relaxed/tense muscle...
Anyway. An anatomy study (from http://www.scott-eaton.com/category/bodies-in-motion, great stuff!)
Face from a reference

Postby Nishrek » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:12 pm

Nishrek

A simple fight scene. I am not sure about size of the girl's head :/
Same (in theory) head but redrawn in more detail
And few more "modeled drawings"

Postby hammerhead105 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:49 pm

hammerhead105

Just keep at it :) don't ever stop. Just an advice though.. it's not always about master pieces..when you practice and study or every time you draw always try to learn something out of it..it's not enough to just copy what we see or just draw whatever we like and never understanding them..we always want to learn something when drawing and even doing other stuff. We should ask ourselves what we are doing, why and how. This way we are able to avoid from making the same mistake all over again and again and again. Try to study some of your previous drawings and see where you need to work. One step at a time as long as you're giving it all you've got rather than everything at the same time.

Postby z4m97 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:48 pm

z4m97

that hand is freakin awesome

Postby Nishrek » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:27 pm

Nishrek

z4m97 wrote:that hand is freakin awesome

Good to know, thanks.
hammerhead105 wrote:Just keep at it :) don't ever stop. Just an advice though.. it's not always about master pieces..when you practice and study or every time you draw always try to learn something out of it.

Because of that I try to do anatomy studies from references.
I am not very happy with newest (ok, it sucks, I know)
Some faces without reference (man, drawing heads is freaking hard)

Postby z4m97 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:50 pm

z4m97

a friend of mine had the same issue with heads, try out with loomis' books...

Postby Nishrek » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:04 pm

Nishrek

z4m97 wrote:a friend of mine had the same issue with heads, try out with loomis' books...

That's the problem. I am trying this method. Well more practice and patience I guess...
Today I have not much time, so only this quick sketch. variation of a harpy

Postby Nishrek » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:48 pm

Nishrek

Some hands from imagination today

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook