Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Nishrek » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:26 am

Nishrek

Subject title: Nishrek's sketchbook

Little more mannequinization. I am very grateful to creator of this site. Amazing references
60 second gestures. I know they are not meant to be very precise, but I am not happy with them :/
My sketchbook. Weird and mundane things
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10968

Postby NesoKaiyoH » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:07 pm

NesoKaiyoH

Liking the sketches, already alot of improvement. Lots and lots of drawings too! Keep up the good work. But sometimes less is more, and it can sometimes happen to me as well. Where I'd focus too much on the anatomical structure of the figure that I lose fluidity, movement, and most importantly, the gesture. So keep that in mind, other wise looking great!
20 - F - Student - Future concept artist and manga illustrator!

My Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?t=11533
My deviantART: http://nesokaiyoh.deviantart.com
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/digitalartistrachelwalpole
My ArtStation: http://www.artstation.com/artist/nesokaiyoh

Postby Nishrek » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:15 am

Nishrek

Why I shouldn't have tried to draw when I am tired... Unfortnatelly I was sober, so I have no further excuses...
This one is inspired by one of my D&D sessions (never underestimate stupidity of players). i wonder if you can identify monsters here? I will draw another version of this one in the future, with better recognizable ones... Oh, well... here we go...
In this one I wanted to focus little more on values (because my light/shadow skill is very weak)

Postby Nishrek » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:12 pm

Nishrek

The lowest pose was qute challenging for me and I am happy with the result :) But I am not sure about proportions :/
Again, trying to render values here
Last edited by Nishrek on Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby NesoKaiyoH » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:34 pm

NesoKaiyoH

Looking good O:!
20 - F - Student - Future concept artist and manga illustrator!

My Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?t=11533
My deviantART: http://nesokaiyoh.deviantart.com
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/digitalartistrachelwalpole
My ArtStation: http://www.artstation.com/artist/nesokaiyoh

Postby Nishrek » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:41 pm

Nishrek

NesoKaiyoH wrote:Looking good O:!

Thank you Sir!

Now something different. Heads, drawn from reference. Unfortunately proprtions are off (noticed after drawing) Left is too wide (eyes too apart), right is too elongated :/

Postby Nishrek » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:59 am

Nishrek

Drawing from a reference photo
In this one, the gesture was taken from a reference, but details from imagination. i think I am going back to practicing hands, because they are awful on this pic
Construction poses

Postby Nishrek » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:15 pm

Nishrek

Bonus round folks!
Because I've noticed recently how some things obviously suck in my drawings, I decided to practice fundamentals more. So, back to the basics.

I tried to very loose gesture drawing, without picking up the pencil. Anyway it looks like scribbled mess, especially that my scanner does not like drawings made with light line :/ Below are least convoluted examples.
Few sketches of basic cranial shape in various angles

Postby Forsal » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:23 pm

Forsal

Those gestures remind me of Nicolaides...are you learning from his book? Great stuff.

Postby Nishrek » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:33 am

Nishrek

Forsal wrote:Those gestures remind me of Nicolaides...are you learning from his book?

Goot to know, that 'doodly" gestures are not so abberation :) I will check his book then ("Natural way to Draw", yes?)
Some heads practice
Heads from references

BTW anone knows good excercise to proportions? Because when I draw, proportions of some part look fine, but after finished drawing I can spot that they are off

Postby Zimatrix » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:38 pm

Zimatrix

Nishrek wrote:BTW anone knows good excercise to proportions? Because when I draw, proportions of some part look fine, but after finished drawing I can spot that they are off

I think the issue you're having is that you aren't using shapes to construct your drawings. It looks like you start by drawing the outline straight away and it's almost impossible to keep track of proportions that way. To get better at proportions you need to think of the entire drawing at the same time - you need to think about the size of the head in relation to the size of everything else all at the same time. You can't do that if you're focusing on drawing the final lines straight away.

Do very loose, very light shapes just to block in your figures or heads or whatever else you want to draw, it's easier to think of a head as an oval and a hand as a square. A bad habit I used to have was also looking really close at the part of the picture I was working on. So I'd be focusing all my attention on making an eye look good - and it would look good. But because I wasn't looking at anything else that eye would end up too big, too small or wonky - what I needed to do was look at the whole head and draw the eye as a circle. Then when that circle was the right size and in the right place I could add details to it and make it look nice.

Oh, and measure everything before you add the final lines. Even if you don't want to start with drawing shapes at least do a very very light sketch, measure it, correct anything that's wrong, then add the final lines over the top.

Postby Nishrek » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:21 am

Nishrek

Zimatrix wrote:
Nishrek wrote:BTW anone knows good excercise to proportions? Because when I draw, proportions of some part look fine, but after finished drawing I can spot that they are off

I think the issue you're having is that you aren't using shapes to construct your drawings.

Well, I try to use shapes (at least for parts like a pelvis or a ribcage).
Zimatrix wrote:Oh, and measure everything before you add the final lines.

Maybe this is the problem :/
Today only one simple construction sketch

Postby Nishrek » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:39 pm

Nishrek

A pose construction
Few things drawn from reference
And now something different...
Unicorn's skeleton drawn from reference http://salsolastock.deviantart.com/art/Horse-Skeleton-1-92555076)

Postby Nishrek » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:19 pm

Nishrek

A drawing inspired by a movie "Salute Of The Jugger" (aka "Blood Of Heroes"). Without reference except a skull.
Background from a movie
Spoiler: show
"Salute Of The jugger" is a SF flick in a dystopian furure (like in every good '80 movie post-apocalypse). There is shown a game, something between rugby and gladiator's match. Rules are simple. A team which will put a dog's skull on a pole in designated time wins. Only one player ("quickie") is allowed to put the skull on a pole. So, all players from other team try to take it back, and give to their own "quickie". There is no killing, but apart from that all bets are off

Another drawing from references on "National Geographic'
Pose practice

Postby Nishrek » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:05 pm

Nishrek

Few poses drawn from reference, but I am not happy with them (especially the dancers pose has distorted proportions) :/
Some random sketches

Postby Zearthus » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:44 pm

Zearthus

Checked all your sketches and I notice one recurring pattern. Stiffness and no form. You're kind of killing your figures if you do not tackle those 2 fundamentals right away. IF you really want to see fluent lines, try drawing with your arm. And practice simple forms to complex forms. Or at least incorporate them in your daily practice.

I recommend checking out Alphonso Dunn's Video regarding to Simple/Complex forms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BdIvZk0WZc
http://www.lovelifedrawing.com/drawing- ... whole-arm/

Most importantly have fun.
BEHANCE: https://www.behance.net/brian-hermelijn
SKETCHBOOK: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8158&hilit=Zearthus&start=540

"I do not sugarcoat, rather I write my honest opinion"

Postby thelittletrollkcaj » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:33 pm

thelittletrollkcaj

thanks for the info( i thought the same but i didn't worry about too much because it was a just a quick practice)

Also i agree with zimatrix you seem to have the right idea about anatomy but your drawings are structure less
try using a sphere or oval for the top half of the torso or as the ribcage and then build the muscle upon that,but i am not a professional my self
so i recommend reading andrew loomis books or watch this vid/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJyadoskb28
hope it helps

Postby Nishrek » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:39 pm

Nishrek

brianhermelijn wrote:Checked all your sketches and I notice one recurring pattern. Stiffness and no form. You're kind of killing your figures if you do not tackle those 2 fundamentals right away. IF you really want to see fluent lines, try drawing with your arm. And practice simple forms to complex forms. Or at least incorporate them in your daily practice.

Thanks for the input.
Stiffens I understand, I have problems with this. But what "no form" means? My sketches are already from simplified (sometimes even too much) forms.
Drawing with a whole arm may be some problem, because my desk is rather small. I will check this video about simple/complex forms
thelittletrollkcaj wrote:try using a sphere or oval for the top half of the torso or as the ribcage and then build the muscle upon that

That's what I try to do when I draw (in some sketches there are visible bones). Guess I will have to practice with simple manikin some more.

I wanted to draw something from imagination, so I drawn a pic below. I hope it is not too cartoony (I am aware that it is rather static).

Postby Nishrek » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:38 pm

Nishrek

OK, some my stick figures, to improve a structure of a figure

Postby Oli » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:35 pm

Oli

you put some nice action on some of your stick figures! way to go!
My sketchbook | My dA | My Facebook

Life is too short for bad coffee!

Postby Nishrek » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:19 am

Nishrek

Oli wrote:you put some nice action on some of your stick figures! way to go!

Thanks. I tried to block now into cylinders/cubes, and I think I will practice this also for a while
Hands studies (5 min), but I have to draw more hands from imagination also

Postby Nishrek » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:36 pm

Nishrek

More structure
This time I want to tackle with perspective a little

Trying to draw of "underline skeleton" from reference. I'll add muscles later but I want to have the skeleton alone also

Not much time lately :/

Postby Nishrek » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:11 pm

Nishrek

Here I wanted to draw something else than figure this time.
Well, judge it by yourself. Let's move on.
Here is some perspective stuff

Postby Nishrek » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:57 pm

Nishrek

Objective: To do little more detailed pose using perspective.
Now I noticed that neck/head is too long :/

Postby Nishrek » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:05 pm

Nishrek

I want to draw something weirder this time. So here we have this

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook